Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Share |

Rotten Rotted Header!

Good day,

I am a novice, and renovating an 8'x8' porch and after ripping out the old plaster and lathe I came across a rotted header on the outside wall. The exterior of the wall is tonge & groove planks, covered by cedar shingles, which is then covered by aluminum siding. The header which is rotted for most of its length is made up of two 2"x4" (true dimensions). Some of the studs are showing rot towards the top of them as well. I am not sure of the steps I should take, but here is what I am planning:

- support the roof over top of the porch with a temp wall.
- cut out the rotted header and replace with two 2"x4"s plus something else laminated to it to make up the needed 4" thickness.
- sister in 2"x4" studs to the existing studs, using construction adhesive on the outside facing edge and screwing to the existing studs.
- laminate some filler strips to the new 2"x4" studs (and header) to bring them out to meet the existing (and somewhat rotted) true 2x4 studs.

Questions:

Should I use 2x6's for the studs/header and just rip them down to the same thickness as the existing studs/header.

Is there any reason to use PT lumber, even though nothing is touching concrete?

Is my plan sound?

Thanks for any advice/guidance you can provide...

- Joe

jlatulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rotten Rotted Header!

I can't speak to everything in your post, because without seeing it, it's hard to wrap my head around. Particularly about the temporary supports. I'd need to be on site looking at it. For example, from the way I read it, to me the whole thing would have to come down. But I'm not sure, because I can't completely picture what you're doing. When I get calls like this, I have to go out to the site.

As for the 2x4's, if it were me, I'd rip 2x6's to the true 4" dimension.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote