Rotten Joist/sill Plate - What Expertise Is Needed? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Rotten joist/sill plate - what expertise is needed?

We have 3 joists and 2 small sections (< 5') of sill plate that have dry rot and some missing siding. Do we need a general contractor? Or could someone like a carpenter (or other type of contractor) generally repair this?


Starrfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,483
Rewards Points: 810

Self employed carpenter can call themselves a contractor, although a contractor may not necessarily have the skills. It's better to look for one, regardless of a title, through reference. Get 3 estimates and ask for copy of insurance, call the insurance to verify.


carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Child Alert! Pull Up!
fltdek's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 138
Rewards Points: 75

I definately agree with carpdad! I would be seriously looking at experience, and most importantly one who will correct the problem the right way. Get at least three estimates, and details of the work, such as type of wood they plan on using, flashing, ect. Let us know what you find out. From ones I have done in the past, it always seems improper flashing is the culprit! I would be interested in knowing if this problem of yours exists by a deck? Ive posted some pictures of a recent one.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotten joist/sill plate - what expertise is needed?-sam_0548.jpg   Rotten joist/sill plate - what expertise is needed?-sam_0570.jpg   Rotten joist/sill plate - what expertise is needed?-sam_0639.jpg   Rotten joist/sill plate - what expertise is needed?-sam_0645.jpg   Rotten joist/sill plate - what expertise is needed?-sam_0649.jpg  

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
747's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois (kankakee county)
Posts: 1,349
Rewards Points: 534

I agree get a skilled GC. This is a serious job which needs handling just rite. A guy with years of experience.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026

Got any pictures?
Need someone smart enought to first figure out why it happened and take corrective action not just replace what's there.
I agree 99% of the time I see that kind of damage is because someone installed a deck or stoop wrong.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote

carpenter , general contractor , sill plate rotted

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
replacing rotten sill plate on brick exterior home S.LaRue Remodeling 11 11-02-2011 08:50 PM
Replacing Rotten Sill Plate Material Tester Carpentry 6 03-28-2011 08:08 PM
Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door deraj123 Building & Construction 5 08-13-2010 10:43 AM
Rotten door jamb and king/jack studs bob22 Carpentry 7 12-06-2008 05:50 AM
Rotten ceiling joist, top & cap plate and studs chuckball Carpentry 3 04-24-2008 10:57 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1