Rotten Bottom Plate And Subfloor Around Exterior Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door

My house is about 12 years old, 2 stories, with a crawlspace. We are in the process of replacing the flooring in the entire first floor. There is a screened in porch that was recently added (about 3 years ago, prior to my buying the house). When we removed the old floor we discovered that the threshold underneath the door to the porch (5'4" center hung door) was rotted out. Hoping that just the threshold needed to be replaced we removed the door, only to find significantly more rot.

The bottom plate and subfloor on either side of the door is rotted 3-6" out, there is some slight rotting in the top 1/4" of the i-joists and the rim board, and the entire subfloor underneath the door was completely rotted (crumbled in my hands). Also on the right side of the door there was a piece of osb that seemed to be serving as the sole jack stud on that side that was fairly soft and came off easily. It appears that this door was poorly installed and while I suspect that it was the reason for the water, I also suspect that the porch helped to mitigate that problem as all of the rotted wood was dry.

I have patched subfloor before and feel comfortable with that part of the job. However I am having some reservations about the load bearing nature of this wall. My tentative plan is to essentially build a temporary wall about 1 foot in from the door to support the floor joists in the ceiling, remove the damaged bottom plate and subfloor and replace it. I was also considering at the same time enlarging the door to six feet as it appears I could use existing studs for the king studs and it would allow me the space to frame the door in what seems the proper way to me (having jack studs in here would make me a lot more comfortable). Also, parts of the removed door frame were rotted and we didn't particularly care for the door anyways so we'll be replacing that.

Sorry for the long post, but I was hoping others had some thoughts on my plans and whether they sound reasonable. I feel comfortable with the entire project except I have a bit of hesitancy with the fact that this is a load bearing wall.

Thanks,
Jared
Attached Thumbnails
Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door-full_door.jpg   Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door-left_bottom.jpg   Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door-left_bottom_closeup.jpg   Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door-left_top.jpg   Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door-right_bottom.jpg  

Rotten bottom plate and subfloor around exterior door-right_top.jpg  

Advertisement

deraj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Jared,

I will post some pictures, but I an dealing with almost the same exact issue, except you have a bit more rot of the subfloor and bottom wall plate.

Are you replacing a section of your rim joist?

Advertisement

mjzraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I ended up hiring a contractor to do it. To be honest I was nervous about removing framing in an external wall and at this point didn't need something else to go wrong.

However, I did watch him and after seeing it done feel pretty confident that I could do the same sort of thing in the future. He did exactly what I proposed which was to sister a 2x10 to the rim board in between the joists (~17" sections). He did this to avoid having to cut the joists. However, my rim board was only rotten about 1/4" down - the wood below that was good and solid. Same with the joists. We also expanded the door from 5'4" to 6' so we essentially just removed all of the rotten bottom plate.
deraj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

My rim joist is rotted about 3/4" or more and the wood below that is soft. It is confined to between 2 joists. My plan was to both cut out and sister to the rim joist.

Did you or can you take pics of the repair finished or in progress?
Did you have to take off siding or do it all from inside?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #5

Here's our damage

Inside you cna see where the door sill dips down:

The Floor plate is 1/4 " lower at the jack stud:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b9K9YGlmNT8/TA...0/100_1739.JPG
Plywood damage doesn't go too far under the wall plate, but it's odd (to me) that it wasn't flush with the rim joist and wall plate:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b9K9YGlmNT8/TA...0/100_1744.JPG
Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjzraz View Post
Here's our damage
I have the exact same problem, my subfloor is also not flush with the rim joist or wall plate. The wall plate hangs over the subfloor about 1".

What did you do to fix it?

Advertisement

kwerk is offline   Reply With Quote