Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Share |

Rotted wood & Fieldstone foundation repair

Rotted wood in mixed construction method of Posts + Board on Board horizontal construction needs replacing. Fieldstones have become loose.
(See PDF) Need affordable solution that will not lead to more problems. How to create a stable surface for the replacement wood or other replacement material to sit on. Crawl space is not insulated. Thinking of attaching posts to the inside of the exterior walls to support building during replacement of rooted wood. Build forms 6 inched from foundation wall without excavating the inside and outside, cement is only to encapsulate existing Fieldstone foundation and provide a flat surface for the replacement of the horizontal wood. Can concrete be poured onto the ground or perhaps onto a bed of rigid insulation. Would require the removal of subfloor to access foundation which would then provide several insulation options. Would prefer not to remove flooring to access foundation. Exterior wall falls flush to the exterior side of the foundation. I work from this floor of this house and temporary relocation is not practical so a relatively quick completion solution is needed. Are there any other solutions.
Glen
Attached Thumbnails
Rotted wood & Fieldstone foundation repair-house-construction-photo-details.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf House construction photo details 72 dpi.pdf (98.0 KB, 40 views)

Glenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

There's not going to be a quick easy fix for this one that anyone here is going to be able to help you with.
This is going to require at a min. a GC taking a look at it on site.
More likly an engineer will have to be called in.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Fieldstone foundation is solid, just some loose mortar. it is over 2 feet wide. There is no movement or sinking for over a 100 years. Looking for ideas & tips to create a flat stable surface so that the new replacement materials can distribute the load accross as many points as possible. As it is now there maybe only be 5- 10 places where the load is transfered to the foundation
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Iím a G.C. and many times jacked up homes and commercial buildings and replaced foundation and footers. Generically we temporarily support the roof system to elevate the wall weight in order to safely deal with the putting in a new footer and plate.

First issue is ďWHYĒ did all of the rotting occur. That needs addressed so you donít have a ďrepeatí problem.

Second, what is your GEOs freeze depth in ground so new footer wonít freeze and heave

This isnít a DIY project and should be laid out by a professional and one thatís knows Rehap on old structures and understands old building practices to know the correct approach. This is right up my ally but, I canít do it with just pictures and feel safe in guiding you. Picture leaves out the 3D that is vital to not missing things.
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #5

I will have a contractor do the work but want to be as informed as possible about the possible options their advantadges and disadvantages. I believe the foundation is fine. No sinking or heaving. It was built around 1900. Just loose mortar on the top of the 1 inch plank that the floor joists are sitting on. The rot is no longer active, I believe it was due to past water infiltration and probably carpenter ants. The deterioration has not advanced any in the last 10 years. The frost line is 3 feet here and Contrators here say a depth of 4 feet for a new foundation. My thinking is if the foundation has been stable for 100 years it will be fine for another 40 + years.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmc View Post
I will have a contractor do the work but want to be as informed as possible about the possible options their advantadges and disadvantages. I believe the foundation is fine. No sinking or heaving. It was built around 1900. Just loose mortar on the top of the 1 inch plank that the floor joists are sitting on. The rot is no longer active, I believe it was due to past water infiltration and probably carpenter ants. The deterioration has not advanced any in the last 10 years. The frost line is 3 feet here and Contrators here say a depth of 4 feet for a new foundation. My thinking is if the foundation has been stable for 100 years it will be fine for another 40 + years.
Smart move!!!
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmc View Post
Fieldstone foundation is solid, just some loose mortar. it is over 2 feet wide. There is no movement or sinking for over a 100 years. Looking for ideas & tips to create a flat stable surface so that the new replacement materials can distribute the load accross as many points as possible. As it is now there maybe only be 5- 10 places where the load is transfered to the foundation

Non shrink grout can be used to form with, up to 1 inch or 2 inches and is really strong. I've used it to add on top of an add in footer under a huge brick fireplace that was falling off the house, an irrigation line broke underground and water undermined the existing footing. We dug 6' deep by eight foot wide and filled it up with concrete and stayed an inch below the fireplace footing withe concrete. after a few days we went back and the concrete had shrunken down a little as we knew it would. Non shrink grout was added to fill the void, about 2 inches total.

If you made some type of form you could float over the top of the fieldstone with the non shrink grout and it would fill voids in the top section of the wall strengthening it back up and also give you a chance to create a level surface to work off of. I've found that using insulation to stuff around the cracks of form work works great for stopping the liquid flow because non shrink grout can get really runny.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
Glenmc (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #8

Thank you for the suggestion. I am leaning towards options like this that do not alter the structure significantly & am consider applying a non shrink cement only to the top of the existing foundation or removing any loose mortar or smaller stones to get a thicker base. I had thought about puttting a form on each of the foundation sides and pouring concrete but suspect that moisture will be able to travel up through the fieldstone foundation and freeze thaw cycles will eventually cause the new pour to split away from the foundation even with a wire mesh or rebar. Also, adding load that is not on a footing could cause issues.

Tags
fieldstone, foundation repair