Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotted sole plate in bathroom

I am doing a remodeling project on a small bathroom. When I removed the old tile and cement board on the floor I noticed part of the subfloor had water damage. I removed the drywall to investigate further and can now see that a section of the sole plate is rotted. This has happened in the area right next to the bathtub where I would guess water has spilled over the edge for years. It may be damaged behind the tub as well but I can not see that area unless I remove the tub. The damaged sole plate has a drainage pipe and water supply for the toilet coming up through it from the crawl space. The wall appears to be a load bearing wall since it had a double header plate.

How would I replace the sole plate? Is it important for the sole plate to be continuous or could it be replaced in sections, making sure to provide support below the vertical studs? Would removing the tub be necessary or a good idea?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

firemanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cut out the damaged sections and replace with new wood. Cut past the obvious damage until you get to all good wood. If you need to build a temporary wall for support, do it. Don't take any shortcuts.
This is a standard repair in an old bath.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I agree with Ron6519 - just cut it out and replace it - do it in sections though so that some of the wall still has support on the bottom.
SnowUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

A double plate does not mean a bearing wall. That being said look at it carefully to see if it is a bearing wall and if necessary put up some supports to keep the ceiling up.

Tags
bathroom, floor, rotted, sill plate, sole plate