DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rotted sole plate in bathroom

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Marvin Gardens 
#1 ·
I am doing a remodeling project on a small bathroom. When I removed the old tile and cement board on the floor I noticed part of the subfloor had water damage. I removed the drywall to investigate further and can now see that a section of the sole plate is rotted. This has happened in the area right next to the bathtub where I would guess water has spilled over the edge for years. It may be damaged behind the tub as well but I can not see that area unless I remove the tub. The damaged sole plate has a drainage pipe and water supply for the toilet coming up through it from the crawl space. The wall appears to be a load bearing wall since it had a double header plate.

How would I replace the sole plate? Is it important for the sole plate to be continuous or could it be replaced in sections, making sure to provide support below the vertical studs? Would removing the tub be necessary or a good idea?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

#2 ·
Cut out the damaged sections and replace with new wood. Cut past the obvious damage until you get to all good wood. If you need to build a temporary wall for support, do it. Don't take any shortcuts.
This is a standard repair in an old bath.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.