Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotted porch frame, what to do? (pics)

Just purchased this 1950's split level lat year and since moving in, I have done tons of work to the house and yard, now I'm to the porch.

I have a sun porch that regularly gets flooded during rain storms. I decided I needed to gut it and see what type of damage there is. Turns out basically the whole bottom frame is rotted out. I already fixed the cause of the issue, but now I'm not sure how to go about fixing the frame.

I figure I need to replace it, that's a given. I'm not sure if I will have to rip the siding off to get behind the studs or what. I hope this isn't the case. Most of the actual studs are fine, it's just the bottom. I assume I should wedge some support beams while doing the work. I also assume the person who built the porch ramsetted the 2x4's to the cement slab.

There looks to be 4x4's in the corner, but they don't look to touch the ground.

Any clues as to where I should go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. I can also take more pics if needed.

eMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most ,if not all the issues look like they stem from improperly installed windows. It looks like one of the window rough opening sills has already been replaced.
I'd remove all the windows and install them properly to start out. If feasible, remove all the exterior siding to examine the shape of the sheathing. There's got to be rot at the bottom of all the places where the sill plate is gone.
I would replace the sill plate with a pressure treated piece of wood. Replace any studs that are rotted. Resheath where necessary and reinstall the exterior siding.
You'll need a temporary stud wall to carry the load as you pull apart the porch wall.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check with the County records for your house. At times, someone builds a roof over a slab, then walls and windows, all on a patio slab. The record will be there as sun room or not.... Reason why there is not the required rafter ties, 6" min. distance to siding from ground, p.t. mudsill at plates, etc., dig at outside for 12" thickened exterior footing.
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote