Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rotted mud plate

First Post: Noticed some form of dust/debris around the kitchen sink window. I removed the siding and saw rotted wood. I decided to check the rest of the wall and removed all the siding. The floor plate and mud sill are also rotted in spots. Will need to replace all of it. I am thinking of using an 12 ft 4x6 and 3 jacks and just working my way down the length of the house, replacing it as I go. WILL this be OK?

doug branum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Rotted mud plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug branum View Post
First Post: Noticed some form of dust/debris around the kitchen sink window. I removed the siding and saw rotted wood. I decided to check the rest of the wall and removed all the siding. The floor plate and mud sill are also rotted in spots. Will need to replace all of it. I am thinking of using an 12 ft 4x6 and 3 jacks and just working my way down the length of the house, replacing it as I go. WILL this be OK?
not sure why no one has responded yet. i assume you mean bolt the 4X6 to the studs and support it with the jacks.
anyway, your plan sounds pretty typical i would say. brace everything well, sawzall, replace. might need to brace the floor as well. good luck.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Rotted mud plate

Any idea what caused the rot?Leaking roof or window flashing?Possible termite damage?
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Rotted mud plate

The first thing to do is to find the source of the "rot", which could be moisture from many sources including lack of a exterior moisture barrier or flashing, poor window installation sines most siding materials (especially vinyl) are prime candidates for investigation.

Wood does not rot by itself. Water moves in ALL directions and travel a long distance horizontally, with vertically not too common.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Rotted mud plate

concrete: is that you w/ a laker in your avatar? what a monster! when, where, how, gps coordinates, etc, PLEASE. thanks. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote