Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
azs

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

rotted girder on posts balloon frame

I am new here. My husband and I just bought our first house. We decided to encapsulate the crawl space and discovered that the oldest part of the house does not have a concrete foundation, as we previously believed, but sits on posts on top of concrete footings. The girder(?) that spans the posts supports the floor joists as well as the walls studs. A section of the girder, from the corner to about 5 feet in, is rotted almost all the way through. The next footing is about 2 feet away. We thought about first pouring a new footing where the rot begins, connecting the floor joists to the wall studs, by screwing pieces of wood between them, and then jacking up the floor joists to support both the wall and the floor. Then we might be able to cut out the bad section of the girder and replace it with new. But we can't dig in that area because we would hit ledge right away. The concrete footing that is two feet away (seven feet from the corner) is only big enough to support one 6x6 post. If we cut the girder at that point, only 3 inches of each side would rest on the footing. (Also, this footing is not very deep either and I don't know if it is pinned with rebar.) I am at a loss as to what to do in this situation and afraid that we will cause the house to fall on our heads, but we don't have a lot of money to pay someone to do the work. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

azs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Really need someone on sight to take a look at this one.
Trying to use wood post to hole up a house may not be the best plan since the first one's already rotted out.
Some pictures would sure help.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
azs

The post isn't rotting, the girder thing is rotted. It rotted because it was under a door that wasn't properly flashed. I attached a picture of the whole area under the door and a close-up of the rotting girder. -Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
rotted girder on posts balloon frame-close-up.jpg   rotted girder on posts balloon frame-photo.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

That is a heavy rim joist-----
You are not going to like this---but someone sneed to crawl around under the house and take picture of the rim joist and the piers that are holding that up---

A lot of members here have tackled that and much worse--

If you have the energy--we can walk you through the job-----Mike-----
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
azs

Thank you. These pictures may not be that useful. Some were taken this morning with my iPhone, which doesn't have a flash. They also rotate when I upload them, so it may be difficult to understand what is going on. Is there a way that I can choose the orientation of the pictures?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
azs

The attachments don't seem to be uploading. I guess it worked this time. The second image is rotated 90 degrees. I will post an image of the footing.
Attached Thumbnails
rotted girder on posts balloon frame-img_0033-1.jpg   rotted girder on posts balloon frame-photo-5.jpg  

Last edited by azs; 10-24-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
azs

Rotated 90 degrees again.
Attached Thumbnails
rotted girder on posts balloon frame-photo-6.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

Looks like a sill beam to me. Can you get a better photo of the connection between the supporting post and the beam?

Also, an outside shot showing the roof in relation to that door opening would be helpful.

Last edited by Pittsville; 10-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
azs

The beam just sits on the post. We jacked up the beam to replace a post earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
rotted girder on posts balloon frame-img_0040.jpg   rotted girder on posts balloon frame-photo-2.jpg   rotted girder on posts balloon frame-photo.jpg  

Last edited by azs; 10-24-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Tags
balloon frame, posts, rotted girder