Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Rotted floor boards. How do I fix THIS???

Hey Guys. I bought this house as a fix'er upper. I gutted the bathroom today (whole house is gutted now), and it's quite a mess. It had a bathtub, toilet, and sink. I've attached some links to the pics. There were tongue and groove wood boards on the floor. The tub was set on top of those, and they used tile backer board as a sub-floor around the tub. So when they got wet, they heaved. It's nothing more than pressed paper. Then they put 6"x6" linoleum tiles on top of that. The toilet and sink sat on top of the linoleum tiles. Water from the tub/shower rotted the floor as did the leak from the cold water line from the toilet. So take a look at the pics and give me your suggestions.

My thoughts:
3/4" plywood on floor joists, Durock on top of that, and hardiboard on the walls. Should I just bring the plywood up to the sole plate on the walls, or should I tear out that section of wall and rebuild it? I think the tongue and groove boards are 3/8". I'm going to keep the t&g boards in the kitchen where the doorway meets, but the wood is too damaged to restore so I'll put subfloor on top and tile ... probably.

pics:
Just showing you some basics of what was where in the room and how they were oriented.
Toilet Drain/Sole Plate
Toilet Drain/Rotted floor boards
Toilet Drain/Floor joists
Sink drain/Vent pipe
Sink drain/Doorway

Rotted floorboards-1
Rotted floorboards
Looking in through door
Doorway (from kitchen)

There was a metal, in-the-wall medicine cabinet with a hinged mirror and two fluorescent side lights. They cut the stud to get the space in the wall cavity. I removed the small top piece today when I was gutting it ... just because it pissed me off so much that they did that.

Cut stud(former in-the-wall cabinet)
Cut stud (ceiling - I took out the 2x4 that was above the cabinet)

More pics to show you how bad the damage is.
Bath and Toilet drains-2
Bath and Toilet drains-3
Bath and Toilet drains

The back wall is exposed to the elements and will be insulated soon. I plan to put the new sink and toilet along this wall. I may use the old vent pipe location, or put a new one up this wall, and bring it out under the eave. All new PVC DWV pipe will go in ... once you guys tell me how to fix this floor!
Back wall/Roof line
Back wall/Sole plate

Thanks in advance for your help.

gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

your pic addresses were fudged up, here's a working link for anyone wanting to check 'em out

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...tes%208-13-07/

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Before you address the floor, remove all the drain piping from the sink and tub. Remove any water supply pipes down to the basement.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Before you address the floor, remove all the drain piping from the sink and tub. Remove any water supply pipes down to the basement.
Ron
I was planning on getting to that before I get to the floor. I just wanted some thoughts on the best way to re-do it when I get to that point.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny331 View Post
your pic addresses were fudged up, here's a working link for anyone wanting to check 'em out

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...tes%208-13-07/
Thanks, Johnny331. I didn't realize I goofed up the links.