Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Wolf

Rewards Points: 25

Rotozip: How to Use for Electrical Boxes

I have used my Rotozip for several projects but not for cutting drywall openings for outlet boxes and recessed lighting fixtures. In particular, I have 16 recessed light fixtures that need openings in 5/8" rock used on my remodeled basement ceiling. I have Rotozip bits used for cutting around boxes, but am a little unclear about the techniques I need to use. Should I position the ceiling rock with no openings and plunge to "center" of the fixture, then work my way to the edge and then around the perimeter? Or should I measure and cut small openings that approximately fit center of the fixtures and then use the Rotozip to accurately complete the cuts when the rock is positioned on the fixtures? Thanks in advance for your advice.

ralphfravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
Structural Engineer

Rewards Points: 75

I would use a hole saw for recessed lighting. Just look around for them. You can even use a dust shield with many models to keep clean up nice and easy.

Last edited by wildcat; 05-15-2009 at 02:55 PM.
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes, mark the center of the box/light and tack the perimeter of the sheet. Plunge the bit and go to the right until you hit the edge. Pull back slightly and hop the edge and move to the outside. Then run around the perimeter counterclockwise with light pressure. Make sure you're using guidepoint bits. Start on boxes that are not in obvious locations and get some practice. Also, make sure your wires are pushed back in the boxes. Hole saws work OK for remodel lights but not for new construction.

Last edited by jerryh3; 05-15-2009 at 03:17 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,028

Big box stores have attachments similar to this one that can circles between
3-1/2" to 12" in diameter.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/63...ter_Attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Rotozip: How to Use for Electrical Boxes-circle-cutter-attachment.jpg  
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Wolf

Thanks very much for your advice. I appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #6

I find my RotoZip cuts so fast and easy that it makes it too easy to screw up the cut. So I am better off with my trusty drywall hand saw I have had for many years.

But then again maybe the many years is my problem with controlling the RotoZip...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

I've used a router for cutting drywall since before there was an actual "RotoZip". I still make mistakes from time to time, especially with a brand new bit. It's hard to "feel" the box/can light with a new bit. It's definitely the best way to cut boxes once you get the hang of it. Not sure it's a DIY tool. If you try it, MAKE SURE the can light can't move on the "tracks" that suspend it between the joists. As you push the router around the can, it will move and you will have a big mess.....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Wolf

Thanks bjbatlanta for the wise tip. I think I'll give the Rotozip a try for this job. In the past, I've used the rotating drill cutters and even with the dust cover, there was too much dust for my marriage to survive a second project. If the Rotozip doesn't do it, I'll resort to the trusty hole saw and careful cutting. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I am an Electrician, my suggestion is to stay out of the electrical box with a rotozip. The electrical box is to provide protection for the wires, not to act as a stencil. I personal now do all the joints up in the box, marretts the wires and turn on the cct so when you nic my wires with the roto zip it blows your blade right off the end of that crap tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfravel View Post
I have used my Rotozip for several projects but not for cutting drywall openings for outlet boxes and recessed lighting fixtures. In particular, I have 16 recessed light fixtures that need openings in 5/8" rock used on my remodeled basement ceiling. I have Rotozip bits used for cutting around boxes, but am a little unclear about the techniques I need to use. Should I position the ceiling rock with no openings and plunge to "center" of the fixture, then work my way to the edge and then around the perimeter? Or should I measure and cut small openings that approximately fit center of the fixtures and then use the Rotozip to accurately complete the cuts when the rock is positioned on the fixtures? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Godkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

..good ole' fashioned 5 buck keyhole saw and a cardboard box to catch the drywall dust..
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

As a remodeler, most of my work is done in finished homes, so a lot of drywall dust is a no-no. Rotozip makes a lot of dust, and then has a fan to blow it all over the place. And as suggested above, it nicks wire insulation, not good. I vote for the drywall saw.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godkin View Post
I am an Electrician, my suggestion is to stay out of the electrical box with a rotozip. The electrical box is to provide protection for the wires, not to act as a stencil. I personal now do all the joints up in the box, marretts the wires and turn on the cct so when you nic my wires with the roto zip it blows your blade right off the end of that crap tool.
It's pretty clear you're just blowing hot air right now. And that's cool. But if a real electrician pulled a stunt like that on one of my jobs, he would be off my site in five minutes, and likely would never work in our county again.

This is a DIY site... homeowners and novices. Please be careful with your suggestions. Someone just might believe you and get themselves hurt.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote