Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

Share |

Room over garage

I trying to get a ball park figure on an addition. Northern NJ area. It's approx 20 x10 over an attached garage. Just looking for shell, siding and roof. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

TonyD

TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Room over garage

$13.00 complete.

I hope this helps.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
DIY staff

Room over garage

Andy there is a snow load to consider!

Seriously--You need drawings first and a price from a local contractor--Costs vary a lot by design,locations and site conditions---If a Jersey contractor has a guess --great--otherwise this post will turn into a joke fest.---Mike---
Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

Room over garage

Thanks for the reply guys.....Im just trying to get a very basic idea.

thanks
again
Old 12-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
DIY staff

Room over garage

Try this site--Cost of a Skylight - Get Prices and Estimates - CostHelper.com
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Room over garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I trying to get a ball park figure on an addition. Northern NJ area. It's approx 20 x10 over an attached garage. Just looking for shell, siding and roof. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

TonyD
I don't understand, why people continue to post on a DIY forum looking for costs of additions?have they not read the posts in last couple weeks? it can't be done by anyone here! find a contractor's forum, maybe someone will take the few hours to figure material lists and such to get a price together? DIYers are not contractors! might as well google average price for addition,

you first need a plan on paper, not in your head! we don't know what is in your head?

10x20? draw your plans on paper, take to local lumber yard, they'll figure out how much of what you need. even the costs of those materials, multiply that cost by 5 or 6, and you might be in the ballpark of cost to build?

there is no such thing as a room, with just a shell,siding and roof. unless it's just a shed! there has to be a floor. don't forget costs of existing roof removal and haul away, beefing up existing ceiling joists to carry the load, if that's your plan?

if you're looking for bids to do the job? run an ad in the paper, you'll get plenty of contractors looking for work, though I'd probable wait till spring time, and same my money till then,

as always, just my thoughts.

take what helps? ignore the rest!

good luck

coupe/Larry
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

Room over garage

Coupe, your point is well taken and Im sorry if I posted something in the wrong forum....
Thanks

TonyD
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Room over garage

Coupe, your point is well taken and I'm sorry if I posted something in the wrong forum....
Thanks

Tony, I'm sorry if I came off as berating you for posting this on this forum? it wasn't my intention to do so.

I think? there may be a couple of actual contractors who come here? most of us are simply DIYers, who try to help others with their projects when need a bit of help or direction.

your situation is quite different, in order to build anything! you must start at the bottom and work up. your bottom is the ceiling of your garage. first the roof must be torn off to get to that.

there may or may not be some materials that can be salvaged for use on addition? you say you simply want a shell? you're going to finish inside?

nobody here, I'd bet knows exactly the codes, restrictions licensing, permit/inspection processes in you particular area?

10x20? is it 10' wide 20' long? or 20' wide? the square footage may be the same! but is entirely different when the roof comes in. is roof gable or flat? or cathedral type roof? the walls, will have windows? 2x4" walls or 2x6"

there must be an entrance way into room! will that be stairs from outside? or coming in from existing house?

will you be doing some of the work yourself? how is new roof tying into existing roof?

if room is to be usable? there must be electric? HVAC?

there are just too many variables! for anyone to give you even a ballpark figure to build this addition. you really need to have local contractors look at and bid on these kinds of projects. after you have official drawing made out with the specs. you want in detail.

I worked as a union carpenter in north Jersey for several years back in the 80's and the labor rate alone was over $10.00 difference in Philadelphia's pay rate we haven't caught up to you yet as far as I know?

now, if this is a project you might take on yourself? we can probably help you in that along the way? stage by stage but, I might find someone to frame it for $5-$6 per square foot it might be $10-12 in your area? where I might find roofing and siding for $200.00 per square? it may be $500.00 in your area?

regardless of how you do it. yourself or hire it out? you're going to need someone on the job constantly! who knows what to do and how to do it! who you'll be paying to just set around 80-90% of the time.

there is much more to it than building four walls, closing it in, packing up your tools, and calling it done!

absolutely impossible to estimate over the Internet!

as always, just my thoughts.

take what help? ignore the rest

coupe/Larry
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Room over garage

You'l be looking at $150-$250 per square foot...if you want anything more precise, call a contractor for a quote...