Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Share |

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

maybe dumb question..but wondering what anyone's feeling is here on this modular/pre-cut method for room addition.

I've done several small projects around the house, but no framing or major construction. I need to do a 500sqft bedroom addition. Not sure I could handle framing/roofing this new space from scratch..but the pre-cut method to me feels do-able. like putting the pieces together I can probably handle. but stick building from scratch sounds a little daunting for me.

any general feeling on this? looking at Calif Pre-cut
http://caprecut.com/additions-2/

thanks much.

jcrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to reality

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

When I first started out in framing I had a contract building houses that were prefab. All I can say is junk. If you are a DIYer it will be very hard to use, some walls will be longer and some shorter then they say on the plans same with the roof trusses. As with actual roof truss companies what you order is what you get. If you are nervous about framing the addition call a contractor. But it is not that hard. If you have any questions I can walk you through it.

reality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reality For This Useful Post:
jcrizzy (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

I have only done one, same problems as above.
Framing walls is not the hard part.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

Mae-ling is right; framing isn't really that difficult. Go to the library or a big box store like Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a book on how to do it. You'll need a set of plans for your permit, but those often don't show a lot of framing details. What it will show depends on how detailed your building department wants them to be - around here, I could get a permit for what you want to do with a hand-drawn sketch.

One issue you may face is special framing requirements because you live in earthquake land.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 11-12-2012 at 06:41 AM.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
jcrizzy (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

for add on and additions pre built stuff does not work that well IMO, because the addition has to be adjusted usually to accommodate the structure it is being attached to. Addition floor framing needs to integrate with house floor framing, ceilings sometimes have to plane out as well depending on the attachment details. There will be many adjustments needed most times and those adjustments are usually figured out when it is being built, floor band height, wall stud heights, and rafter lengths, etc... pre built would be great as stand alone but try and mingle with the already built and there will adjustments required...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
jcrizzy (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #6

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

I am not familiar with the particular component framing that you cite but I will tell you that alteration work and additions to existing structures are a whole lot different from building a new house. With additions there are always adjustments to be made. If you have the a physical ability and the aptitude you are better off doing a stick frame yourself. If it is a first story addition you have the luxury of time and you can move at your pace, (with a second story addition in most parts of the country the weather demands that open it and close it in quickly). Those that participate in this forum will offer support and you will feel great when you get it done.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCamper For This Useful Post:
jcrizzy (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

If gone back and repaired far more DIY additions then building them from scratch.
The common issues I find are improper foundation, undersized floor joist, floor levels not matching up.
Where the walls attach to the side of the home.
Trying to use a flat or very slightly sloped roof that's not built up high enough on the old house roof.

I've seen everything from the walls just nailed through the old siding, no inside corners.
Rafters just nailed to the fachia board.
No termite pretreating while the foundation is open.
No venting in the foundation or the roof.
No vaper barrier on the ground.

All reasons it's going to fail.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jcrizzy (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #8

Room Addition (Pre-cut)

Thanks everyone. All great info. Sounds like more trouble than its worth for addition. Appreciate all the info!

jcrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote