Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Room addition on existing cement slab and roof

I have a side porch that already has a roof and a cement slab. I want to add a mud room to my house by putting up two walls and a floor on the porch slab. This will of course be connected to the rest of my house so I will add a light switch that controls ceiling lights. Is this doable or will I have to do something to the cement slab first? Will I need a permit? If I can just build on the slab do I have to lay something on it first to stop moisture?

Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #2

Unless you're in a rural area, you wiil need a permit. You might need a bit more if the slab doesn't conform to the standards of the locale for the structure.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

In all my Google and Youtube searches they tell me about pouring and making the concrete slab, but nothing about building ON the slab. Do I lay plastic down first? Do I us regular framing 2 x 4s? How do I start this project? Do I insulate the floor? Are there any resource books or sites? Please give me some details. Thanks in advance.
Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
In all my Google and Youtube searches they tell me about pouring and making the concrete slab, but nothing about building ON the slab. Do I lay plastic down first? Do I us regular framing 2 x 4s? How do I start this project? Do I insulate the floor? Are there any resource books or sites? Please give me some details. Thanks in advance.
You start with building plans from someone qualified to draw them up.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
JOATMON

Permits? I kinda works like this.......

You are in the market to buy a house. You find one you like. Seller says "We remodeled our kitchen last year." You say, "Wow, looks great. Wait, shouldn't those outlets on the counter top be GFIC?" Seller, "Oh, I guess so. I can change them if you want."

How often do you think that happens?

How do you know the wiring is done right?

How do you know the plumbing is done right?

How do you know they didn't take down a load bearing wall?

Want to know? Just take some time and read through some of the posts here.

I would follow the above advice.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #6

How to build a room on cement slab
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

To find out if you need a permit, call your local building inspector. They will also tell you what code you need to comply with. Many codes will not allow construction of habitable space on a slab, you will need footings. The code will define what constitutes an acceptable footing, or you can ask the building inspector. It is hard to discuss the specifics of your case any further since you have not indicated where you live, what code you operate under (if in fact there is a code), if you wish to or plan to comply with code, and if not what your basis of design is intended to be.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (06-20-2012)