Roofing Shingles - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Roofing shingles


What is the best type, weight and color to maximize energy efficiency?

Advertisement

Ch91402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Roofing shingles


That question is unbelievably broad and incorporates so many variables, but...

Type: Photovoltaic shingles produce electric energy while asphalt shingles do not.

Weight: The weight of shingles has relatively no effect on the energy aspects of the system.

Color: Light colors absorb less solar heat energy while dark shingles absorb more.

Advertisement

__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
 
buletbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y
Posts: 1,543
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
That question is unbelievably broad and incorporates so many variables, but...

Type: Photovoltaic shingles produce electric energy while asphalt shingles do not.

Weight: The weight of shingles has relatively no effect on the energy aspects of the system.

Color: Light colors absorb less solar heat energy while dark shingles absorb more.
And if I may add. your geographical area has a factor also.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
And if I may add. your geographical area has a factor also.
Without a doubt...the a dark shingle can be good or bad depending where you are...
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Roofing shingles


The color of the shingles is not usually the primary factor for energy savings, but can play a part (i.e. - energy star white). If the roof is vented properly, say with a ridge vent and plenty of soffit vents, the attic will produce thermal convection and draw the heat out of the attic on its own. Just be sure that the soffit vents aren't covered by insulation and there is plenty of ridge vent along the the highest parts of the roof. The minimum vent-to-size of the roof I have found to be 1:1. For example if you have 40sq of roof, you would want at least 40lf of ridge vent. This usually keeps the attic no more than 15-20 degrees different from the temp inside the house.

http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/resour...nt%20Works.pdf
BCIDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,203
Rewards Points: 1,086
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch91402 View Post
What is the best type, weight and color to maximize energy efficiency?
If your house is insulated properly, the shingles have virtually no bearing on energy efficiency.


That said, if you're in a hot Southern area, lighter shingles will reflect more of the sun off the roof. In a cold Northern climate, dark shingles will absorb more heat & melt the snow off your roof faster.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
kmc
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Roofing shingles


I live in one of the hottest areas in so cal. It has been 100+ for most of August and Sep. I have the HD charcoal asphalt shingles. They are dark colored and look great but the attic is super frigging hot every day. 140+. The attic fan will drop it to about 135 at 2:00 PM when the highest amount of solar radiation is present. The light grey shingles would have made a lot more sense. Also my roof is maybe 12 or 13 years old. A lot of the shingles are getting weathered from the hot summers. Ridge shingles have already been replaced over the garage.
kmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,650
Rewards Points: 2,614
Default

Roofing shingles


When I replaced my roof about 6 years ago I asked the roofing supply house "Should I get 30 year or 40 year shingles?" His reply....."After 20 years your going to be tired of the color."

One other thing I learned....I'll never do my roof by myself again....once was enough....I now understand why there is such a strong market for 'day workers' in this state.

With proper venting, you can make a real difference in the attic temp....regardless of what color you use.

I would also suggest the 'dimensional' style of shingles....looks a whole lot better....and any mistakes in the 'line' are not obvious as compared to 3 tab shingles.

As for brand....I'm sure they are all about the same....as long as you don't buy them from Wallymart....

One of the most important aspects is proper preperation.........and if you already have more than one layer....rip it all off....a Fresh layer on top of the original looks 'ok'....and you can in most areas have up to 3 layers....but it sure is a lot of weight and looks like crap in my opinion.

Don't skimp on the tar paper....tar paper is cheap in comparison....nothing wrong with 2 layers of it.....

Oh...and BTW.....I will NEVER re-roof my own house....I'll give up my beer fund to pay for it before I do it again...
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,203
Rewards Points: 1,086
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Oh...and BTW.....I will NEVER re-roof my own house....I'll give up my beer fund to pay for it before I do it again...
When I was younger - much younger - I re-shingled the house on our acreage. What you don't see from this angle is that the front has a gable, as well as a porch, and I had built another addition on the far side of the house. I had to remove 4 layers of shingles off the original part of the house, then install sheeting under the new paper, valleys & shingles.

Biggest pain in the butt ever!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc View Post
I live in one of the hottest areas in so cal. It has been 100+ for most of August and Sep. I have the HD charcoal asphalt shingles. They are dark colored and look great but the attic is super frigging hot every day. 140+. The attic fan will drop it to about 135 at 2:00 PM when the highest amount of solar radiation is present. The light grey shingles would have made a lot more sense. Also my roof is maybe 12 or 13 years old. A lot of the shingles are getting weathered from the hot summers. Ridge shingles have already been replaced over the garage.
If the attic is properly vented, the attic temps should be the same as the outside temps. You might want to modify the venting you have.
__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
kmc
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If the attic is properly vented, the attic temps should be the same as the outside temps. You might want to modify the venting you have.
I was going to dive into that after the garage ridge vent was installed. Finished the garage in June. The temp there is close to outside. Problem with the house is that the soffits are a pita to enlarge because of space. I'll do those in the fall.
kmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Roofing shingles


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc View Post
I was going to dive into that after the garage ridge vent was installed. Finished the garage in June. The temp there is close to outside. Problem with the house is that the soffits are a pita to enlarge because of space. I'll do those in the fall.
Isn't it nice that there's always something on the "to do" list?

Advertisement

__________________
Ron
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
B. Franklin 1759
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-roofing Architectural Shingles over Architectural Shingles NoDIY4Me Roofing/Siding 11 04-08-2014 08:50 PM
Best roofing shingles for the money? gante Roofing/Siding 21 09-08-2011 12:20 PM
roofing shingles jetmech Roofing/Siding 0 11-05-2010 09:20 AM
Roofing Shingles brh1213 Roofing/Siding 5 06-05-2008 06:34 PM
Matching Shingles and Rolled Roofing crankitup Roofing/Siding 2 01-31-2008 01:33 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts