Roofing Shingles - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing shingles

What is the best type, weight and color to maximize energy efficiency?

Advertisement

Ch91402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Roofing shingles

That question is unbelievably broad and incorporates so many variables, but...

Type: Photovoltaic shingles produce electric energy while asphalt shingles do not.

Weight: The weight of shingles has relatively no effect on the energy aspects of the system.

Color: Light colors absorb less solar heat energy while dark shingles absorb more.

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
That question is unbelievably broad and incorporates so many variables, but...

Type: Photovoltaic shingles produce electric energy while asphalt shingles do not.

Weight: The weight of shingles has relatively no effect on the energy aspects of the system.

Color: Light colors absorb less solar heat energy while dark shingles absorb more.
And if I may add. your geographical area has a factor also.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
And if I may add. your geographical area has a factor also.
Without a doubt...the a dark shingle can be good or bad depending where you are...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing shingles

The color of the shingles is not usually the primary factor for energy savings, but can play a part (i.e. - energy star white). If the roof is vented properly, say with a ridge vent and plenty of soffit vents, the attic will produce thermal convection and draw the heat out of the attic on its own. Just be sure that the soffit vents aren't covered by insulation and there is plenty of ridge vent along the the highest parts of the roof. The minimum vent-to-size of the roof I have found to be 1:1. For example if you have 40sq of roof, you would want at least 40lf of ridge vent. This usually keeps the attic no more than 15-20 degrees different from the temp inside the house.

http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/resour...nt%20Works.pdf
BCIDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch91402 View Post
What is the best type, weight and color to maximize energy efficiency?
If your house is insulated properly, the shingles have virtually no bearing on energy efficiency.

That said, if you're in a hot Southern area, lighter shingles will reflect more of the sun off the roof. In a cold Northern climate, dark shingles will absorb more heat & melt the snow off your roof faster.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
kmc

Rewards Points: 75

Roofing shingles

I live in one of the hottest areas in so cal. It has been 100+ for most of August and Sep. I have the HD charcoal asphalt shingles. They are dark colored and look great but the attic is super frigging hot every day. 140+. The attic fan will drop it to about 135 at 2:00 PM when the highest amount of solar radiation is present. The light grey shingles would have made a lot more sense. Also my roof is maybe 12 or 13 years old. A lot of the shingles are getting weathered from the hot summers. Ridge shingles have already been replaced over the garage.
kmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Roofing shingles

When I replaced my roof about 6 years ago I asked the roofing supply house "Should I get 30 year or 40 year shingles?" His reply....."After 20 years your going to be tired of the color."

One other thing I learned....I'll never do my roof by myself again....once was enough....I now understand why there is such a strong market for 'day workers' in this state.

With proper venting, you can make a real difference in the attic temp....regardless of what color you use.

I would also suggest the 'dimensional' style of shingles....looks a whole lot better....and any mistakes in the 'line' are not obvious as compared to 3 tab shingles.

As for brand....I'm sure they are all about the same....as long as you don't buy them from Wallymart....

One of the most important aspects is proper preperation.........and if you already have more than one layer....rip it all off....a Fresh layer on top of the original looks 'ok'....and you can in most areas have up to 3 layers....but it sure is a lot of weight and looks like crap in my opinion.

Don't skimp on the tar paper....tar paper is cheap in comparison....nothing wrong with 2 layers of it.....

Oh...and BTW.....I will NEVER re-roof my own house....I'll give up my beer fund to pay for it before I do it again...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Oh...and BTW.....I will NEVER re-roof my own house....I'll give up my beer fund to pay for it before I do it again...
When I was younger - much younger - I re-shingled the house on our acreage. What you don't see from this angle is that the front has a gable, as well as a porch, and I had built another addition on the far side of the house. I had to remove 4 layers of shingles off the original part of the house, then install sheeting under the new paper, valleys & shingles.

Biggest pain in the butt ever!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc View Post
I live in one of the hottest areas in so cal. It has been 100+ for most of August and Sep. I have the HD charcoal asphalt shingles. They are dark colored and look great but the attic is super frigging hot every day. 140+. The attic fan will drop it to about 135 at 2:00 PM when the highest amount of solar radiation is present. The light grey shingles would have made a lot more sense. Also my roof is maybe 12 or 13 years old. A lot of the shingles are getting weathered from the hot summers. Ridge shingles have already been replaced over the garage.
If the attic is properly vented, the attic temps should be the same as the outside temps. You might want to modify the venting you have.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
kmc

Rewards Points: 75

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If the attic is properly vented, the attic temps should be the same as the outside temps. You might want to modify the venting you have.
I was going to dive into that after the garage ridge vent was installed. Finished the garage in June. The temp there is close to outside. Problem with the house is that the soffits are a pita to enlarge because of space. I'll do those in the fall.
kmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roofing shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc View Post
I was going to dive into that after the garage ridge vent was installed. Finished the garage in June. The temp there is close to outside. Problem with the house is that the soffits are a pita to enlarge because of space. I'll do those in the fall.
Isn't it nice that there's always something on the "to do" list?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote