DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

is roofing felt necessary for a 8x12 shed?

35K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  chandler48 
#1 ·
I shingled my shed using a 25 year shingle. I did not put down roofing felt because the shed is not going to be heated and it has a steep pitch. there is also some ventilation though it. My friend tells me I'm stupid for not putting down roofing felt. I say it doesn't make much difference because it has ventilation and no heating or cooling going on with vents.I also know that typicall code calls for felt but I also now my shed does not fall under any building code. I'm wondering if anyone has any in put on the matter

#4 ·
Sure, but maybe he'll learn that he needs to RE-DO the job, so why not ask? On that note: Hey. It's a SHED. Sure, in an ideal world it should have had felt paper on it. A gal gave me a similarly-roofed shed many years ago, and after her shingles blew off 3 years ago, I put a blue tarp over it till "I get to it". Still there; shed is still standing and not rotting. Tell your buddy "There is a good football game on. Relax and go watch it. Get the food out; I'll be right over." j

#9 ·
It is common roofing practice to put felt on any exterior structure, be it shed, dog or bird house.
The reasons given for not putting it on are as valid as saying, " I built it on Tuesday."
Look at it as a learning experience.
Ron

Reactions: Tom Struble
#10 ·
I've torn off dozens of 3 tab roofs that had no felt and no ice and water and after 30 years the deck was bone dry. Personally, I think it's stupid. Shingles are what keep the roof dry. If you got water going underneath the shingles, YOU GOT PROBLEMS BUDDY, that only felt will keep out for maybe one rainfall. You gotta rememeber that felt you install is gonna have thousands of nail holes in it from the shingles over top that you nailed down. Also it's easier to see the deck and if you're going straight with the framing if you don't have felt down, and you can even see the rafter lines so if you want to you can throw a nail or two per shingle into the rafters for added strength. What's really important is the deck is flat and strong. And you nail placement on your shingles is accurate and flush. If you roof an old house with shclip lap decking, often tima the nail zone lands between the deck boards. I have seen dozens of old homes where the roofer didn't realize he wasn't nailing into the deck because there was felt down. Just shingle to shingle and the delaminated. Personally I think is dumb, and customers beg for it but the real thing is to install the shingles right 👍. Don't touch it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.