DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   is roofing felt necessary for a 8x12 shed? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/roofing-felt-necessary-8x12-shed-73720/)

jmoney 06-14-2010 11:59 PM

is roofing felt necessary for a 8x12 shed?
 
I shingled my shed using a 25 year shingle. I did not put down roofing felt because the shed is not going to be heated and it has a steep pitch. there is also some ventilation though it. My friend tells me I'm stupid for not putting down roofing felt. I say it doesn't make much difference because it has ventilation and no heating or cooling going on with vents.I also know that typicall code calls for felt but I also now my shed does not fall under any building code. I'm wondering if anyone has any in put on the matter

Just Bill 06-15-2010 05:49 AM

Roofing felt or similar is a secondary protection membrane, should the shingles leak, and isolates the shingles from the sheathing. It is required in some areas, but always a good idea. Since it is a shed, I would not suggest tearing off the roof and starting over.

jogr 06-15-2010 01:32 PM

My only input is that one should ask for input before they do something rather than after. After is pretty much a waste of time.

jklingel 06-16-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogr (Post 456605)
My only input is that one should ask for input before they do something rather than after. After is pretty much a waste of time.

Sure, but maybe he'll learn that he needs to RE-DO the job, so why not ask? On that note: Hey. It's a SHED. Sure, in an ideal world it should have had felt paper on it. A gal gave me a similarly-roofed shed many years ago, and after her shingles blew off 3 years ago, I put a blue tarp over it till "I get to it". Still there; shed is still standing and not rotting. Tell your buddy "There is a good football game on. Relax and go watch it. Get the food out; I'll be right over." j

drtbk4ever 06-16-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jklingel (Post 456963)
Hey. It's a SHED. Sure, in an ideal world it should have had felt paper on it.

My thoughts exactly. It's a shed. Leave it be.

xxPaulCPxx 06-16-2010 12:06 PM

The only thing the felt would add - besides an additional layer of protection - is a slip membrane. Basicly, it allows slight movement of the shingles during hot/cold movement without damaging the shingle.

Scuba_Dave 06-16-2010 12:15 PM

I put it on my shed....I think :laughing:
No sense ripping the roof off to put felt on
They used to roof houses without felt

I would not say you are stupid
With a steep pitch, no heat & new shingles unlikely you will have a problem

jlhaslip 06-16-2010 02:12 PM

I just finished building 8 sheds without felt/paper, so they should be good.

Ron6519 06-16-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoney (Post 456338)
I shingled my shed using a 25 year shingle. I did not put down roofing felt because the shed is not going to be heated and it has a steep pitch. there is also some ventilation though it. My friend tells me I'm stupid for not putting down roofing felt. I say it doesn't make much difference because it has ventilation and no heating or cooling going on with vents.I also know that typicall code calls for felt but I also now my shed does not fall under any building code. I'm wondering if anyone has any in put on the matter

It is common roofing practice to put felt on any exterior structure, be it shed, dog or bird house.
The reasons given for not putting it on are as valid as saying, " I built it on Tuesday."
Look at it as a learning experience.
Ron


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved