Roof Truss - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

roof truss

I am building roof trusses for a shed and using metal truss plates to connect at joints. My question is for the rake overhang I know I frame lookouts but how can I connect the lookout at the peak if there is a metal bracket at the very end rafter?

Advertisement

detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 232

roof truss

If you don't have it sheated yet notch a 2x4 flat into the gable and and butt it into the side of the 2nd truss.Basically you will dato the top cord on the gable.Than attach the gutter board to that and put your soffit under that.I hope i haven't confused you let me know and i might be able to explane it better.

Advertisement

scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

roof truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottktmrider View Post
If you don't have it sheated yet notch a 2x4 flat into the gable and and butt it into the side of the 2nd truss.Basically you will dato the top cord on the gable.Than attach the gutter board to that and put your soffit under that.I hope i haven't confused you let me know and i might be able to explane it better.
I understand that part but can't you just nail 2x4 lookouts directly to the end gable rafter if your doing like a small overhang? But if you do it that way how would you connect at the very peak? Also, for the 2 end gable trusses instead of doing a web design for bracing in between the top and bottom chords can you install end studs instead?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 232

roof truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
I understand that part but can't you just nail 2x4 lookouts directly to the end gable rafter if your doing like a small overhang? But if you do it that way how would you connect at the very peak? Also, for the 2 end gable trusses instead of doing a web design for bracing in between the top and bottom chords can you install end studs instead?
You can do it that way its just a little stronger if you can tie it back to the trussess.
If i understand about tieing in at the ridge.You will make plumb cuts on the soffit boards being the fly
rafter and the board on the wall and than put 2 studs together at the very top.And i dont really understand about what you mean abot the 2x4's on the truss
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 514

roof truss

Nail it through the gusset.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote