Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof structure

This is a picture of the loft of a house I looked at for sale yesterday. Would anyone consider this brickwork repair under the beam to be a problem, or difficult to repair?
Name:  IMGP1440.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  35.8 KB

devonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,084

Roof structure

At first glance, one might assume that the beam and bricks are associated, but I am not so sure that they are, aside from the fact that the bricks were knocked down to make room for the beam? But what is the purpose of the beam? Maybe I am not seeing something, but I think that you are going to want to post some more details, in order for anyone to offer any advice, and you might be better served to have an engineer look at it first hand.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,464

Roof structure

Now thatís something you donít see every day.

Why is there a brick wall in your attic?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #4

Roof structure

Thanks for the replies. There are actually 2 beams. The one you can see ends on top of the wall, and the next one starts on it. you can see the end of it next to the first one, but a bit lower down. The rafters seem to be resting on it. The other ends of the beams go into the brickwork at the end of the house.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,084

Roof structure

Okay. I had thought that might be the end of another beam, but wasn't sure. Regardless, it doesn't make sense, to me anyway, that those beams were set in place for the rafters to set on. That is one heck of a beam to have hoisted into place as a repair, but, on the other hand, if it was part of the original plan, then, based on the condition of the bricks, adequate support was not provided in the beginning, indicating that you may very well be looking at only a small part of a much larger issue. Do you think that the rafters are part of the original roof? Maybe the bricks and beams are of one era, and that the rafters were added later, but rather than removing the beams, they built over them? I don't know. Maybe it will make sense to someone else, but, in the mean time, I still think that more pictures are necessary, and that, again, you may very well want to contact an engineer in your area, and ask him or her to look at it.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,130

Roof structure

I agree with quikfishron, I have looked at several hundred houses and never seen anything quite like this. The beam is heavy enough to be a ridge beam, however it is not aligned with the ridge. The brick wall was apparently intended to support the beam, which would be common in mill buildings, but not in residential construction. Apparently the beam is not continuous over the brick wall, which is also odd. In fact, the whole arrangement is very odd.

Before I purchased that house, I would want a comprehensive, hands on structural analysis by a professional. As noted, with that kind of strange framing, who knows what else is up with the house. Either that or punt on the house, there are lots of others available.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
devonman (11-20-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Roof structure

This was quite a common method used for terraced houses in the UK. You don't say where the house is. The purlins would be built into the party and gable walls to support the rafters and weight of the roof. Sometimes the weight from the purlins would be transferred from struts to a load bearing spine wall.
This one looks like a load bearing wall in the house is used to support the ends of the purlins so that shorter lengths can be used.
I would take a guess that this is the original build.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #8

Roof structure

Thanks for the advice Daniel, it does make sense to have a professional look at this and other issues.