Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Roof Rafter question

Not sure if this a construction or roofing question...

I'm a newbie, and am struggling through an addition. I'm stuck. Sorry if this is long and complicated, but here it is. Any advise is appreciated:

I'm building a small addition which called for extending the roof line out to cover the addition. In the process I discovered that I had to tear off part of the adjoining roof. The new plans for rebuilding this roof called for 2x8 rafters. That job is complete.

The addition adjacent called for 2x6 roof rafters, but that won't fly now since I'm essentially continuing the roof line to cover the addition and have to use 2x8s.

I'm trying to set a ridge beam for the addition, about half way down the existing roof line and tie it into the last rafter of the existing roof and need a 2x10 ridge to accommodate the 2x8 rafters. The 2x10 will hang down below the 2x8. Is this kosher? Do I just use a longer hanger? Seems strange to have the 2x10 hanging below the rafter. it's attic space so it won't matter inside.

Any advice is greatly appreciated....

Thanks!

Rookie3550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #2

Roof Rafter question

"The addition adjacent called for 2x6 roof rafters, but that won't fly now since I'm essentially continuing the roof line to cover the addition and have to use 2x8s." ------ just add another flat 2x under the addition rafters.

Code requires full bearing of the cut edge on rafters on a ridge board:
Sec. 2326.12.3. Framing. Rafters shall be framed directly opposite each other at the ridge. There shall be a ridge board at least 1-inch (25 mm) nominal thickness at all ridges and not less in depth than the cut end of the rafter. At all valleys and hips there shall be a single valley or hip rafter not less than 2-inch (51 mm) nominal thickness and not less in depth than the cut end of the rafter. From: http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page010.htm

Be safe, Gary

Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

Roof Rafter question

"Code requires full bearing of the cut edge on rafters on a ridge board."

Perhaps, but there are exceptions. In my log house, built from approved plans, the cut edge of the rafters extends about 1-1/2 inches above the top of the ridge beam to provide for air flow through the ridge vent.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #4

Roof Rafter question

Do you have a ridge board, 1-1/2" thick?

Or a ridge beam, 3"minimum, with required hangers on the rafters?

Be safe, Gary