Roof Over Sunroom - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof over sunroom

I am looking for someone to direct me to putting a roof on a sunroom that I'm building. Deck I'm putting it on is 15' x15' . I know what to do for support under deck but what do I need to do for support for the roof. My existing bungalow style roof has a 4/12 pitch. The roof for the sunroom will be 1/15 pitch. Thanks John

Advertisement

jaylynnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #2

Roof over sunroom

I'd probably frame it out using at least 2X8s tied in to 2X12s on the ends. Then just sheath it, lay your felt paper, and shingle.

Advertisement

wylde8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #3

Roof over sunroom

Manufactured trusses, ordered from any lumberyard, will result in a stronger roof than stick framig. Its easier too. The framing from the sides of your deck need to be continious from the footing to the load carrying beam that the trusses set on. A good lumberyard will have a program that will give you the framing requirements. Don't forgett to make your footings large enough, and deep enough, to carry the load of the deck and the roof.
BurtsBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #4

Roof over sunroom

Wylde8 I don't know what you mean by using 2x8s tied in to 2x12s and I guess I didn't clarify myself. The roof of the house has 2x6 trusses and I want to tie in to the roof for my sunroom with 2x6s or 2x8s for the trusses for the roof. I am also putting the same roofing pattern on it as the house that has a metal roof I put on this year, but putting up clear unbreakable fibreglass for sheeting.
I also want to tie in the trusses on top of the wall of the house.
jaylynnkw is offline   Reply With Quote