Roof Over Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Roof over porch

Putting a roof over my side door to the house. Concrete porch already there (too much pain to demo and rebuild so I'm cleaning it up) and I have the decorative 4x4 columns for posts. What is the proper way to attach the post to the porch? Should it go right on the concrete?

I'm intend to build the overhang from 2x4 lumber and shingle it to match the house. At that size/weight do you think I need 2 support columns or just one? Thinking if it would work with one it would be great to remove the post that the door opens towards.

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Roof over porch-phpomtdgcam.jpg  

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
At that size/weight do you think I need 2 support columns or just one? Thinking if it would work with one it would be great to remove the post that the door opens towards.

Thanks all!
How are you thinking that you can only use one?

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
How are you thinking that you can only use one?
Attached to the house via ledger and one post off a corner. Thought it might be small and light enough to not necessitate posts on both corners.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Roof over porch

Quote:
Attached to the house via ledger and one post off a corner. Thought it might be small and light enough to not necessitate posts on both corners.
What will hold up the other corner?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #5

Roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
What will hold up the other corner?
I thought the low weight may be displaced enough between the ledger and the first post. I don't see the second post supporting much weight at all but that's why I asked, no need to beat around the bush and make me feel dumb. All you need to say is you think I should use two posts.

Any insight on connecting posts to porch?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Roof over porch

Quote:
I thought the low weight may be displaced enough between the ledger and the first post. I don't see the second post supporting much weight at all but that's why I asked, no need to beat around the bush and make me feel dumb. All you need to say is you think I should use two posts.

Any insight on connecting posts to porch?
Ledger will support the rafters at the house if it's a shed roof, with or without ceiling joists. The rafters at the other end will be supported by a small header. That header has to be held up on both sides. Just trying to figure why you would think it doesn't. Not trying to make you feel stupid. It doesn't seem like you know how you will build this thing by thinking that.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 750

Roof over porch

Are you planning on just covering the landing or are you going to cover the steps also? If it was me I would cover everything and put one post on the corner of the landing and one just past the bottom step. It will be more difficult to make the posts look right but will make it much safer for entry.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

Roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Are you planning on just covering the landing or are you going to cover the steps also? If it was me I would cover everything and put one post on the corner of the landing and one just past the bottom step. It will be more difficult to make the posts look right but will make it much safer for entry.
That is a great idea, something I hadn't thought of. I'm planning to put a step off the side facing the camera in the picture but won't have it covered as the post would be too far out in the driveway. But I do like the idea of making the roof longer to cover the existing 2 steps.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 270

Roof over porch

It's not just the weight(noticed you live in Detroit.. snow), but one post won't keep the roof from swaying.
I would do as mentioned with the extended roof and I'd do a shed roof over a gable. Simpson makes brackets that keeps the 4X4 off the concrete.

I'd nix that second step on the camera side that you mentioned.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #10

Roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
It's not just the weight(noticed you live in Detroit.. snow), but one post won't keep the roof from swaying.
I would do as mentioned with the extended roof and I'd do a shed roof over a gable. Simpson makes brackets that keeps the 4X4 off the concrete.

I'd nix that second step on the camera side that you mentioned.
Thanks. Why nix the step? My garage is to the right in the photo so I'm always taking that straight jump down. In the winter I've come too close to biting it before. Actually I had given thought to removing the concrete steps and building wrap-around type steps through the corner.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 270

Roof over porch

If you do, make it 2 steps like the original ones. The rise needs to be legal, this will help when resale time comes.
What did you have in mind? Wood or concrete.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #12

Roof over porch

New steps would be wood. I don't think I have enough room to do two steps off the front and still get a car by comfortably. I'll see how close I can get them to code, if one step just doesn't cut it I'll leave it separate from the current steps and can just remove it at sale time.

Advertisement