Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Roof over Deck Ideas?

I really want to put a roof over a portion of my deck, and am looking for ideas. I recently got an estimate from a local contractor to extend the rear roof out to make the back a straight line, but the quote of $7,500 seamed pretty high for what would end up being a very small covered area (that quote included electrical work, permits, etc). I built the deck myself, but am not comfortable with tying anything directly into the house on my own.

If I don't extend the roof I won't be able to get away with much slope, which means a shingle roof is probably out of the question. I've been looking into pergola style roofs, but have no idea what I would use for the roofing material, or what slope would be acceptable. I want it to look nice and fit int with the "natural" feel of my back yard.

I've seen some deck roofs that are actually taller than the house roof. Doesn't that cause water drainage issues?

Also, There is a concrete slab under the portion of the deck in the concave portion of the house. I'm assuming I'm going to have to pull up some decking to make room for posts for the roof.

Thanks for any help and ideas!

drekce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Roof over Deck Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drekce
I really want to put a roof over a portion of my deck, and am looking for ideas. I recently got an estimate from a local contractor to extend the rear roof out to make the back a straight line, but the quote of $7,500 seamed pretty high for what would end up being a very small covered area (that quote included electrical work, permits, etc). I built the deck myself, but am not comfortable with tying anything directly into the house on my own.

If I don't extend the roof I won't be able to get away with much slope, which means a shingle roof is probably out of the question. I've been looking into pergola style roofs, but have no idea what I would use for the roofing material, or what slope would be acceptable. I want it to look nice and fit int with the "natural" feel of my back yard.

I've seen some deck roofs that are actually taller than the house roof. Doesn't that cause water drainage issues?

Also, There is a concrete slab under the portion of the deck in the concave portion of the house. I'm assuming I'm going to have to pull up some decking to make room for posts for the roof.

Thanks for any help and ideas!
You would frame a gable roof.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Renovations contractor

Roof over Deck Ideas?

What room is on the other side of the 3 windows in the 'alcove'? If you put a roof right there then that room is not going to get as much light.
What is the purpose of the additional covered area i.e. is to to set up a BBQ that you can use in all weather or to sit out even when wet or for shade or what? How many square feet do you really need for this purpose?

If it is mainly for shade then a pergola may work ... you could possibly tie supports in to the walls on each side of the alcove (corbel style) so that you don't need to run posts down through the deck. Just a thought. Depends how much weight that roof is going to be as to whether this would work or not ... and how big that span from side to side is. What I am trying to describe is basically an arch so it has strength based on its geometry.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Roof over Deck Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
What room is on the other side of the 3 windows in the 'alcove'? If you put a roof right there then that room is not going to get as much light.
What is the purpose of the additional covered area i.e. is to to set up a BBQ that you can use in all weather or to sit out even when wet or for shade or what? How many square feet do you really need for this purpose?

If it is mainly for shade then a pergola may work ... you could possibly tie supports in to the walls on each side of the alcove (corbel style) so that you don't need to run posts down through the deck. Just a thought. Depends how much weight that roof is going to be as to whether this would work or not ... and how big that span from side to side is. What I am trying to describe is basically an arch so it has strength based on its geometry.
My living room is on the other side of those windows. We usually keep the blinds closed anyway because we get directly sunlight in there most of the day.

This roof would need to provide cover for rain. Lots of rain. I want to be able to BBQ and just sit outside in the Florida weather. That alcove area is about 80SF, but I would like the roof to extend out past that a bit. Maybe 100-120SF total.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Roof over Deck Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
You would frame a gable roof.
I still can't picture how water runoff would be handled with a gable roof.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Architect

Roof over Deck Ideas?

I wouldn't put a full on roof in this location.

The current high ridge hip roof and the two hips on the projections would make any sloping roof look out of place.

I would have to imagine that the goal of the roof is to provide some shade. If the desire is to provide an outside area during rainy weather, thats a different story.

If the goal is just shade, and the opening isn't south facing now, I would suggest a pergola.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #7

Roof over Deck Ideas?

I'd do this...

I'd bring it out to the corner of the deck though to make a more functional space.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof over Deck Ideas?-roof-cover.jpg  
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Roof over Deck Ideas?

Hey Robert, how do you handle the dead valleys n this triple gable configuration?

Crickets?

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-03-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Roof over Deck Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Hey Robert, how do you handle the dead valleys n this triple gable configuration?

Crickets?

Andy.
Yup, crickets and my roofing subcontractors liability insurance

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-02-2012), mae-ling (07-03-2012)