Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof

how hard would it be to replace rafters on my roof. im redoing my roof as it is with osb and new shingles. has the old plank boards, three layers of shingles and leaks. just bought the house. can see water stains on the rafters and cracks. roof was built in what they call cheap construction.becouse there is no ridge board at the top of the rafters. and i thought it would be better. there should be a 2x8 ridge board with 2x6 rafters . it has now something like 2x4 rafters . the house was built in 1946. any suggestion would be nice thank you.

this old house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by this old house
how hard would it be to replace rafters on my roof. im redoing my roof as it is with osb and new shingles. has the old plank boards, three layers of shingles and leaks. just bought the house. can see water stains on the rafters and cracks. roof was built in what they call cheap construction.becouse there is no ridge board at the top of the rafters. and i thought it would be better. there should be a 2x8 ridge board with 2x6 rafters . it has now something like 2x4 rafters . the house was built in 1946. any suggestion would be nice thank you.

Replacing the Rafters would not be difficult but there would be overhangs, soffits, and facia that would probably need to be redone also and then it might be more work than you thought.

Quote:
becouse there is no ridge board
Trusses don't have a ridge board and they are used all over the country.

Quote:
something like 2x4 rafters

Trusses most often use a 2x4 top and bottom cord. The fact of the matter is you could make your roof, (what you have there now), into an engineered truss system if you were interested in something like that. I'm certain it would be alot less work than replacing the rafters and alot stronger. You could just beef up your roof by adding some web braces and some gang nailers. I guess the question would be other than some water stains on the rafters do you notice any other problems? Does everything appear to be straight? Does it seem to hold the weight of people walking it? Generally if a roof has held for 50 years there is a good chance it will go another 50.<P>
Are your rafters braced down to the walls? That was the way alot of guys did it 50 years ago. It makes it kind of like a truss and generally holds pretty well. HS.

Last edited by K2eoj; 11-06-2005 at 08:21 PM.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote