Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,738
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |
Default

Rodents . . . . .


I have large holes under the house that lead up into the walls where my 4" cast iron plumbing goes up to the second floor. I sealed them all up with spray foam about 6 months ago and haven't seen any signs of them until tonight when my wife heard a scratching sound. I crawled underneath to discover they have eaten their way through a small portion of the spray foam. I am going to set a trap down there, but what are some better ways of sealing these holes up?

I used the same method in the attic as well where the vents penetrate the top plates, so I guess i'll have to check those again.

Thanks in advance.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,181
Default

Rodents . . . . .


Got a picture?

Metal flashing cut in the shap of a donut and staple it up.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Member
 
cortell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 708
Default

Rodents . . . . .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have large holes under the house that lead up into the walls where my 4" cast iron plumbing goes up to the second floor. I sealed them all up with spray foam about 6 months ago and haven't seen any signs of them until tonight when my wife heard a scratching sound. I crawled underneath to discover they have eaten their way through a small portion of the spray foam. I am going to set a trap down there, but what are some better ways of sealing these holes up?

I used the same method in the attic as well where the vents penetrate the top plates, so I guess i'll have to check those again.

Thanks in advance.
I had exactly this problem in my cabin a few months ago. Two large field rats had made their way up a subfloor opening, where the tub drains were. That gave them access to an interior wall, which they then used to get up to the attic.

I trapped the rats, released them miles away, then went under the crawlspace and covered the opening up tight with plywood and deck screws. I had to do some creative cutting of the plywood, but it was all pretty straight forward.

I'm sure the rats had a good laugh when they saw your spray foam solution. You need something heavy duty. I've since made the crawl space impenetrable to rodents by digging out a trench and installing 1/2" 19 guage galvanized construction cloth ("chicken wire", some call it). The cloth is attached to the skirt framing, and then shoots out 2' feet, under the soil. Good luck getting back in there, Ratatouille.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,738
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Rodents . . . . .


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture?

Metal flashing cut in the shap of a donut and staple it up.
I could take a picture tomorrow maybe. It's quite a huge hole as it's an exterior wall, and getting a piece of 4" cast up into that wall required quite a bit of hacking of lumber and concrete.


I guess I like the idea of the plywood, but the hole is so darn big i'd have to get the plywood behind the pipe as well.


What do you guys think about using strips of 3/4" plywood or some other 1-by material and tapcons to build a wood frame around the area in question, and then securing some wire mesh to the plywood with staples or roofing nails?

Or I could just skip the lumber, and try to secure the wire mesh directly to the concrete with tapcons and washers.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Member
 
cortell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 708
Default

Rodents . . . . .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I could take a picture tomorrow maybe. It's quite a huge hole as it's an exterior wall, and getting a piece of 4" cast up into that wall required quite a bit of hacking of lumber and concrete.

I guess I like the idea of the plywood, but the hole is so darn big i'd have to get the plywood behind the pipe as well.
Here's what I had to deal with. That hole is around 4" x 12", and look at all the plumbing around it. Now you can't get even a pencil into that area. No after pics. Sorry. Again, just need to get creative with the plywood cuts and be VERY patient. Working around the pipes, in a crawl space, with spiders all around...it was NOT fun. Recommend a heavy duty dust mask. Almost coughed up a lung the night after my first round down there; learned that lesson the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails
Rodents . . . . .-holesf.jpg  
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Member
 
cortell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 708
Default

Rodents . . . . .


More pics from my situation (not OP's)
Attached Thumbnails
Rodents . . . . .-ratt.jpg  

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Tomcat mouse poison worth a darn? cgoll Pest Control 13 02-07-2011 08:14 PM
rodent bait pack vs blocks? bradbmtl Pest Control 3 10-16-2010 10:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.