Rock Foundation Bowing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

rock foundation bowing

I am inheriting a house built around early 1900 or before. I am big on diy work and I noticed where the water well is that the stone foundation is bowed out . I assume it is from the recent construction on the well that helped cause this problem, My question is I intend to jack the house in the corner slightly and remove the stones, replacing the bowed pat with concrete with rebar but it will be connected with the existing stone foundation. I do not have alot of money therefore diy project. Anyone have any ideas, thanks

northern, pa

also the house is just sitting on the foundation not anchored

Advertisement

trucks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

rock foundation bowing

You need to have someone that understands such things to look at your problem. A bowing foundation is not good, and it needs proper engineering for a correct fix, not casual DIY patches.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

rock foundation bowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
You need to have someone that understands such things to look at your problem. A bowing foundation is not good, and it needs proper engineering for a correct fix, not casual DIY patches.

I agree but again not much money to do that. Thanks anyways
trucks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

rock foundation bowing

do you really think you can get advise on how to fix what sounds like a very serious foundation problem on a diy website?Get real and call in a pro or at least somebody with the knowledge who can see what the situation calls for and can guide you on the fix, you definitely should go to your building department and see if permits and inspections are required,they most likely are

Last edited by Tom Struble; 02-22-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

rock foundation bowing

more'n likely, you'll need stamp'd plans along w/an INSURED contractor,,, insurance co's don't like diy-ers when there's a claim,,, of course, if you're willing to risk it all, don't worry !

reread the post about ' permits and inspections '
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote