Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
macon, ga bibb county

Share |

Rim joist center or flush on piers?

Hey guys I'm building a 16x24 shed/workshop and not sure if my band/ rim joist should sit flush with the outside of my piers or in the center. I want them flush just for appearance but wasn't sure that was ok to do. I am using 8" block for the piers. Also is 1 2x8 enough or should it be doubled? It's going to hold mainly woodworking tools( table saw ,jointer, planer, bandsaw, wood). One more thing, should I use 2x10s instead of 8s for the joists? Thanks in advance!

Lupus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus71 View Post
Hey guys I'm building a 16x24 shed/workshop and not sure if my band/ rim joist should sit flush with the outside of my piers or in the center. I want them flush just for appearance but wasn't sure that was ok to do. I am using 8" block for the piers. Also is 1 2x8 enough or should it be doubled? It's going to hold mainly woodworking tools( table saw ,jointer, planer, bandsaw, wood). One more thing, should I use 2x10s instead of 8s for the joists? Thanks in advance!
How soild do you want it to be?
Strongest way would be to use pressure treated 2 X 8's laying flat on top of the blocks held in place with foundation bolts that have been set in the voids in the block and back filled with concrete.
Rim joist get set even with the outside of the piers.
Always better to go with a wider floor joist, makes for a far stonger nonsagging floor.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
macon, ga bibb county

I would like it to last around 15 years to give me time to save up and move where I really want to live but I wasn't planning on filling the cells maybe I could do it with dirt up to the last block and fill it with concrete? So you would lay one 2x8 flat with thread rod sticking through and then set the band on top of that, would you flush the band to the edge of the pier?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
macon, ga bibb county

Sorry I just saw where you answered. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #5

Should look like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...raming+diagram

It's held in place with foundation bolts not threaded rod.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Don't fill with dirt, use gravel. Pack it down before the concrete cap.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #7

I would double up the RIM joists and center them on the pier. If you put the RIM flush to the outside then over time the pier could sink and lean in the direction of the RIM.. If you center the load on the pier even if it sinks over time it will have a good chance of sinking straight downwards instead of risking it falling over. If you wanted to put the RIM flush to the outside of the pier then you would need to put a footing under the pier and center the pier on the footing so the weight will be evenly distributed.
brockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

So if you built it like that then the blocks webbing would be left exposed. How's that going to work out when it fills with water and freezes?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

You would need to fill the webbing with concrete or else the ice damage could crack the block, and if you added a footing you would need to tie the two together, the pressure treated 2x8 is a good idea to anchor into the pier, however it will still wick moisture up into the RIM, I would put something like a 6 mil poly under the 2x8 so the moisture from the concrete cannot penetrate the floor system. If you wanted to build flush to the outside you would still need another footing to stabilize the load, to do this I would make a form pour the footing with vertical rebar that is spaced the same as the webbing on the concrete blocks and then pour concrete in the webbing which would tie the foundation together. Then you could build on top of the 2x8 block.
brockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockhouse View Post
You would need to fill the webbing with concrete or else the ice damage could crack the block, and if you added a footing you would need to tie the two together, the pressure treated 2x8 is a good idea to anchor into the pier, however it will still wick moisture up into the RIM, I would put something like a 6 mil poly under the 2x8 so the moisture from the concrete cannot penetrate the floor system. If you wanted to build flush to the outside you would still need another footing to stabilize the load, to do this I would make a form pour the footing with vertical rebar that is spaced the same as the webbing on the concrete blocks and then pour concrete in the webbing which would tie the foundation together. Then you could build on top of the 2x8 block.

one of the ideas with a wide 2x8 foundation sill plate is to help disperse the floor load evenly onto the foundation. If using 8" blocks with a 7 1/4" sill plate then there is not much if any outward tilting pressure, only downward force is being applied evenly on top of the foundation.
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-03-2012), mae-ling (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
macon, ga bibb county

Cool thanks guys!