Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Wounded Mathematician

Share |

Rigid insulation/vapour barrier in crawlspace

Hi

I'm the brave soul with the 100 year-old house that we moved to an island. Shortly after having the house set down upon its new concrete foundation, we installed a 6 mil vapour barrier in the dirt floor crawlspace. The vapour barrier covers the dirt floor and extends all the way up to the top of the concrete foundation. Due to time and budget constraints, we only installed the vapour barrier and did without insulation for a year. This was not a problem as we were not living in the house and there was no plumbing yet so we didn't have to worry about freezing pipes.

Now that we have all our plumbing installed and the cold weather is rapidly approaching, we are about to insulate the crawlspace. The house is on an island off the coast of BC, Canada, so we don't typically get the extreme winter temperatures that are seen in the rest of this country, but freezing pipes are definitely a concern.

We plan to use 2" thick rigid foam insulation along the interior perimeter concrete walls of the foundation. I know that the insulation should be between the foundation wall and the vapour barrier and should extend all the way from the footer up to the floor above, fitting snugly around joists etc.

Here are my questions:

Should the vapour barrier also extend all the way up to where the rim joist meets the floor above?

Is adhesive the best way to attach the rigid insulation to the foundation wall?

We also plan to install a small heater in the crawlspace as further insurance against pipe freezing, but should we insulate the pipes too?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtoink View Post
Is adhesive the best way to attach the rigid insulation to the foundation wall?

We also plan to install a small heater in the crawlspace as further insurance against pipe freezing, but should we insulate the pipes too?

Thanks
I would use adhesive. Insulation for the pipes would be a good idea, not that expensive, and much cheaper than running a cheap (and dangerous?) heater all the time. If living in the house, leaving the water flowing just a trickle is a good idea if you fear freezing coming on.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #3

Read this carefully for your locale: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1
Canned foam works well for foam boards, wear gloves. http://www.rd.com/57548/article57548.html
Be safe, Gary