Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

Rigid Foam for Sound Insulation

I am in the process of finishing my basement in my brick bungaloo. I have fixed my electrical and plumbing issues.

Sound travels from the basement up to the ground floor way to easy to have a pregnant wife and, in the near future, new baby. The basement ceiling construction is 2x8 or 2x10 open joist, i forgot which board size it is. I have installed 6inch can lights, and plan on using 5/8in sheetrock for the ceiling material. I have some r-11 fiberglass bat insulation that i was going to use between the joists, but I was wondering if that is the best solution for sound deadening.

My new plan is using a 1/2 inch XPS rigid foam insulation between the joist surface and the sheetrock to give an extra sound block. Construction plan would be to put up the pink board insulation first using screws and acoustic caulk on the joist contact spots, then sheetrock over that using more acoustic caulk on the entire board and longer screws into the joists.

Does this sound effective or just a wast of time an money?

McSweny1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #2

There's a batt style insulation used for fire and sound. I've never used it but..it usually a greyish black color. I see it used all the time on HGTV for sounds..mostly in duplex type places between the shard walls

Something like this

http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-cotton.htm

Here's uncle Bob with exactly what you're trying to do

http://video.bobvila.com/m/21320373/...fire-batts.htm

Last edited by monsterbash; 08-25-2010 at 12:38 PM.
monsterbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

I would love that stuff, but it is HUGE expensive. I have seen that stuff all over HGTV for eco-friendly applications, and all other kinds of things, but that stuff is just not cost effective for my application with the timeline and budget I have.
McSweny1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Totally screwed together

You are going to have problems with sound coming up through the cans... you might want to think about isolating those further - say make a sealed double drywall box around them.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote