Rigid Foam Board And Height - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

rigid foam board and height

This may be a stupid question but when applying rigid foam board to my poured concrete basement walls do I put the foam board all the way so it hits the ceiling rafters?

The concrete wall ends and there is about 8 inches before the ceiling rafters. I have insulated the rim joists with foam board and Roxul and figure the foam board should go all the way to the rafters even though it will not be glued there, but the glue on the remaining board should hold it.

Hopefully my question makes sense. Thanks

Advertisement

ctkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would hold the insulation height to the top on the foundation. I would want to be able to see the sill plate for later inspection if needed. It also lets air circulate up against the wood.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I would hold the insulation height to the top on the foundation. I would want to be able to see the sill plate for later inspection if needed. It also lets air circulate up against the wood.
Ron

Okay, thanks. Then insulate the rim joist from the sil plate to the end of the rim joist. Do I try to insulate from the foundation to the rafters, even if its just batts or rigiid foam laid horizontal? Or one the concrete and rim joists are insulated the gap doesn't matter.
ctkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkeebler View Post
Okay, thanks. Then insulate the rim joist from the sil plate to the end of the rim joist. Do I try to insulate from the foundation to the rafters, even if its just batts or rigiid foam laid horizontal? Or one the concrete and rim joists are insulated the gap doesn't matter.
I would inspect the sill/ foundation connection and look for gaps to the exterior. Older houses were built with no sill seal, so cold air from the exterior will get in. I would go around thje perimeter and identify any and all gaps and seal them. Small gaps(up to 1/8") with a silicone caulk, large gaps with an expanding foam. If the foundation lip is a issue, put foam board on the horizontal. Block walls will be more prone to drafys, especially if the hollows are open.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,098

Holding it down will also simplify adding the required fire-blocking at the top of the new wall/old wall in front.

Be safe, Gary