Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ridge Vent/Soffit Advice Needed

Next week I am starting to replace my roof of 20 years and I need some advice about ridge vent. The roof currently has roof vents (aluminum type) and no soffit vents. The end of the roof is just closed. The over hand where the soffits should be are about 8" maybe - so my question is should I add some soffit vents and go with a ridge vent to help reduce the heat build up? thanks

kw151002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes. Ridge vents don't do much without soffit flow. The idea is to have air flow from the soffit to the ridge. This prevents moisture from forming on the underside of the roof sheathing. There are vents that can be added to the soffit no matter how small the overhang. Check local roofing/siding suppliers.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Yes, a ridge vent is the best form of passive venting (ie no powered exhaust fans involved), but it won't do much if you don't have soffit vents, or some other way to let air from outside draw in and allow the hot air to escape through the ridge vent. So yes, you should put in soffit vents as well. But make sure that on the inside of your attic that insulation is packed into the joists all the way into the soffits. Because if the soffits are clogged up with insulation on the inside, then vents won't do anything.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, do I cover up the gabel vents that are their now?
kw151002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw151002 View Post
Thanks, do I cover up the gabel vents that are their now?
I don't believe you have to. You probably can if you want, so long as you have proper soffit venting. But I don't think there would be any harm to leaving the gable vents. I'd say it's not worth the time to take them out and close up the hole(s).
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

My house has turbines and gable vents. The heat build up in the attic came to my attention when I started re-roofing and doing some remodeling.

As part of my remodeling, I tore off all the wood from under the overhangs. It just so happened that we put on a new roof a few weeks later. The ridge vent area was left uncovered for a few days. So, in effect, I had a huge ridge vent a totally open soffits.

In those few days, the attic stayed amazingly cool. (It was hot, of course, just not sweltering like it had been before.)

We are switching to a ridge vent and soffit venting. I ran across an article while I was researching how to properly size the ridge vent and soffits. You might find it useful as well: http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/odor_6.html

kemp is offline   Reply With Quote