Ridge Vent Leaks - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ridge vent leaks

I live in Halifax Nova Scotia (CANADA) and have a 4 in 12 gable roof that is fifty long, where have a continuous cobra ridge vent. On the soffits I currently have 4" diam midget vents space about 24" o.c..the roof is about 4 years old.

The attic didn't seem to venting adequately, soI decided to increase the amount of soffit ventilation by adding more and bigger midget vents. (Originally I had 3" midget vents space about every 3 feet). I also elected to increase the gap at the ridge vent from 1" to about 4", thinking that this would improve air flow.

Now I have a huge water issue where rain is getting through the ridge vent somehow for the full length of the house and soaking the inside face of my plywood roof sheathing and the rafters. Mold is appearing and I have to do something about it immediately because its winter here, which means a lot of rain and snow wind events for the next 3 months.

Q) How would you recommend I fix this water issue?

My first thought is to rip off the ridge vent and seal it tight with some misc wood infill, peel and stick membrane and shingle it over to give me a weather seal, and install some other style of roof vents (ridge vent or other style) that have better barrier to prevent wind driven rain from getting into the ridge line of my roof.

HELP!

Advertisement

markatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

ridge vent leaks

That Cobra vent is so bad all the shingle supplyers, even HD and Lowes have stopped selling it.
It just never allowed enough air flow.
You never should have opened up the ridge that much.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

ridge vent leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You never should have opened up the ridge that much.
I think that is key. If anything, you should have just added some box vents. You should always go according to manufacturers instructions (1 1/2" per side?)... To fix it, you'll probably need to rip off everything at the ridge, patch in wood and cover it as though you never had ridge vent. Then add box vents as necessary to meet your needs... maybe somebody else has an easier solution