Ridge And Rafters - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ridge and rafters

I'm using 2x8 rafters with a 6:12 pitch, gable roof on a garage. The 8" rafter when cut is 9" long on the end that attaches to the ridge board (24ft long). I'm wondering if I can use an 8" ridge board, which means about an inch of the rafter is not in contact with the ridge board. Or, is a 10" ridge board the only way to construct this?

Thanks,
dmend

Advertisement

dmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

ridge and rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmend View Post
I'm using 2x8 rafters with a 6:12 pitch, gable roof on a garage. The 8" rafter when cut is 9" long on the end that attaches to the ridge board (24ft long). I'm wondering if I can use an 8" ridge board, which means about an inch of the rafter is not in contact with the ridge board. Or, is a 10" ridge board the only way to construct this?

Thanks,
dmend
You use a 2x8 rafter, you have to use the next size bigger which is a 2x10. If it a 12/12 pitch, the plumbcut would be about 10-5/8", therefore sticking lower than the 9-1/2" 2x10. Some towns would want a 2x12 there because they don't want any of the rafter plumbcut below the bottom of the ridge.

Are you getting permits and also do you have a set of plans?

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

ridge and rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmend View Post

Thanks,
dmend
I suggest you keep the overhang to a minimum. Most inspectors will not gripe about anything less than an inch in my experience, but when it becomes enough to be an eye catcher, some of them can cause you a lot of grief over this.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

ridge and rafters

I've got the permit and using off the shelf plans that are close to what I'm doing. I think I'll go with the 2x10 ridge board and to reduce any future hassles.

Thanks,
dmend
dmend is offline   Reply With Quote