Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge and Rafter size

Hi guys,

I just wanted to make sure, before the carpenters finish off the dormers, that we're working with the right size lumber. The inspector was pretty flexible, but I just wanted to here from some other people what they thought.

Anyway, the dormer size (framing size) is 42.5", and the height is about 74 inches. The pitch is 6:12, and the ridge length is about 6 feet. I plan on using a 2x8 ridge and 2x6 rafters (on 2x4 wall studs). Originally I was intending 2x8 for ridge and rafters, but I think that 2x6 should be fine, and I didn't want to increase the span too much betweem the ridge and the window top.

With a flat ceiling it didn't matter about the ridge hanging down, so I figured I'd go with 2x6 rafters.

Does it sound good, guys?

Joe

Joe1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
STAFF

Ridge and Rafter size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1. View Post
Hi guys,

I just wanted to make sure, before the carpenters finish off the dormers, that we're working with the right size lumber. The inspector was pretty flexible, but I just wanted to here from some other people what they thought.

Anyway, the dormer size (framing size) is 42.5", and the height is about 74 inches. The pitch is 6:12, and the ridge length is about 6 feet. I plan on using a 2x8 ridge and 2x6 rafters (on 2x4 wall studs). Originally I was intending 2x8 for ridge and rafters, but I think that 2x6 should be fine, and I didn't want to increase the span too much betweem the ridge and the window top.

With a flat ceiling it didn't matter about the ridge hanging down, so I figured I'd go with 2x6 rafters.

Does it sound good, guys?

Joe
Joe that sounds fine, you are on the right track.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #3

Ridge and Rafter size

ditto

I was worried that you might be using a 'sloped' ceiling, in which case the 2 x 6 rafters would be too short to allow for effective insulation.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote