Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge Board

using 2x12 rafters and a single`14" lvl for ridge on framing roof. Do you think it would be better to double 14"l lvl ridge boards?

dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #2

Ridge Board

No, since it not structural.
Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Ridge Board

Just to amplify the previous comment, by definition a ridge board is a nonstructural element used as a convenient point to attach rafters to. A ridge beam, by contrast, is a structural element used to support the rafters (and by extension the roof). Since you stated that you had a ridge board, there is no reason to overbuild it. If on the other hand you have a ridge beam, well that needs to be designed, typically by an engineer.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #4

Ridge Board

I was told once (maybe they were wrong) that I could NOT use an LVL as a simple ridge board since it was an engineered beam & could not be engineered as a single board for the distance - 24'

Yes...No?

If a single LVL is not allowed do you use (2) reg 2x boards to make up the height needed ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #5

Ridge Board

I agree about not being structural. This will be a hip roof and the horizontial span will be 18'6" and the rafter lenght will be 26' not including over hang. The hips will be 32' long do you go with 2 lvl's 14" or just one there of course there will be braces at ends of ridge and I do believe I will have load bearing points to where I can brace the middle area of the hip rafters? I know 18'6" is at the max a 2x10 will span so would you go up to a 2x12 for rafters especially since there will be cathedrial ceilings in several areas. This I think would allow for insulation and air gap to ensure no moisture problems. What you guy think?
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
General Contractor

Ridge Board

Refer to your plans and specifications. This should have been addressed there. If you have no plans stop now and have some done. You should have a full set on site including any engineered documents. A set of approved construction documents would have been necessary for you to have pulled your building permit and are required to be on on site at all times for the inspectors to reference. You have been playing GC long enough (re: posts on other forum) since you obviously do not have the skill and knowledge to complete your project you would be well advised to hire somebody who does to assist you. You will not be able to attain all the knowledge you need solely by posting questions on these forums.

If you have hired a contractor and are concerned about the way the project is progressing or the methods being employed I would suggest you hire a project manager to represent you. Many licensed GC's, and architects offer this service for a fee. If you have hired a contractor who is asking you (this would be of concern to me as this would imply your contractor also is not qualified) these questions you should refer them to the plans and specifications. If the answers are not located within the plans and specifications the design profesional resposible for the plans and engineering should be contacted by the person resposible for overseeing the succesful completion of the project (usually one of the following entities: GC, lead carpenter, site foreman, site superintendent, or project manager) and any questions refered to said design profesional.

ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote