Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ridge beam support column


Let us know what the S.E. said about the continuous post breaking up your shear end walls in your high wind area. Why not posts per story as in platform framing as mentioned rather than balloon framing? http://books.google.com/books?id=iU0...houses&f=false

You have a conventional floor if using 2x joists, a post and beam floor when using 4x beams as joists, 4’-5’ on center with 1-1/8” plywood or car-decking (2x) for sheathing for the greater spans.

Bedroom windows require 42-44” above finished floor to the opening, depending on local AHJ.

Gary

__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge beam support column


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Let us know what the S.E. said about the continuous post breaking up your shear end walls in your high wind area. Why not posts per story as in platform framing as mentioned rather than balloon framing? http://books.google.com/books?id=iU0...houses&f=false

You have a conventional floor if using 2x joists, a post and beam floor when using 4x beams as joists, 4-5 on center with 1-1/8 plywood or car-decking (2x) for sheathing for the greater spans.

Bedroom windows require 42-44 above finished floor to the opening, depending on local AHJ.

Gary
my 2x floor runs rests on post and beam foundation as shown here.




"Why not posts per story as in platform framing as mentioned rather than balloon framing?"

I was under the impression what i was doing was platform framing, and are you saying instead of my beam being one piece to separate it two pieces one for each floor?
INFALLIBLE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ridge beam support column


I would call that a post and beam pier foundation with a conventional floor joist system..... Is the center (gable ends) piers rated for the portions of roof loads as they appear to be same size sono-tubes, perhaps the footings are bigger for the loads? Don't need the extra end rim joists unless the gable rafters will be pieced in, not continuous to carry the roof load and overhang load. Then the load will be on the gable wall directly to the rim.
Must not be in a seismic zone, no row of blocking down the intermediate center beam. Pretty dry around there, no wood to concrete separation for water wicking capillary action from below, or the brackets are 1/2" higher than concrete. The decking laying there was just for installing blocking, you didn't install them like that.... hard to know your level of experience. Pretty long time experience, judging from the old horses..... LOL

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge beam support column


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I would call that a post and beam pier foundation with a conventional floor joist system..... Is the center (gable ends) piers rated for the portions of roof loads as they appear to be same size sono-tubes, perhaps the footings are bigger for the loads? Don't need the extra end rim joists unless the gable rafters will be pieced in, not continuous to carry the roof load and overhang load. Then the load will be on the gable wall directly to the rim.
Must not be in a seismic zone, no row of blocking down the intermediate center beam. Pretty dry around there, no wood to concrete separation for water wicking capillary action from below, or the brackets are 1/2" higher than concrete. The decking laying there was just for installing blocking, you didn't install them like that.... hard to know your level of experience. Pretty long time experience, judging from the old horses..... LOL

Gary
not my photos used them as reference as what im doing for my foundation forgot to put the note in with the pics my apologies

also am not following what i high lighted in red
INFALLIBLE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ridge beam support column


An earlier picture showed multiple rims at the post (gable) end wall, which would be required if the gable wall was framed up without a rafter supporting that roof load including the overhang load. With a full rafter carrying the roof loads, the rims will carry the wall and gable end framing, as well as some floor loads.

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ridge beam support column


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
An earlier picture showed multiple rims at the post (gable) end wall, which would be required if the gable wall was framed up without a rafter supporting that roof load including the overhang load. With a full rafter carrying the roof loads, the rims will carry the wall and gable end framing, as well as some floor loads.

Gary
So basically the double rim is overkill?
INFALLIBLE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ridge beam support column


The S.E. will spec. that for you with your large spans.

Gary

__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to repair main support beam Jerry48ece Building & Construction 0 01-08-2011 08:38 PM
New ridge beam support needed for cathedral ceiling? zachalyse Building & Construction 12 06-06-2010 07:06 PM
how do I support a ridge beam with a microlam onyx 1 Building & Construction 8 02-10-2010 08:48 PM
Tranferring load to basement beam and lally column cooperwd Building & Construction 3 08-17-2009 10:14 AM
Crawl Space Beam and Joist Support Questions Fire4Effect Building & Construction 5 06-28-2009 01:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.