Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #1

Share |

Ridge beam sizing

I’ve just got the foundation in place and finally I can get this project on the road. However, after many hours of googling stuff, I must say, that I got stuck on how to do the roof. The idea is to have a cathedral ceiling and use a ridge beam. I plan to use one double 2x10 resting on a double 2x6 on the outside wall and on the house side resting on double 2x4, or maybe triple - see picture below.

The question is if that’s the best way of doing it or is there better way to get it done? This addition is 10x17 and I was thinking rafters to be 2x6 24 o.c. I know it’s not much room for insulation, but this house already has living room with the cathedral ceiling made out of 2x6, so I think it should also work for the addition.Other question is, will the ridge beam and the post be sufficient? This addition is only 10x17 and I was thinking rafters to be 2x6 24 o.c. I know it’s not much room for insulation, but this house already has living room with the cathedral ceiling made out of 2x6, so I think it should also work for the addition.

Here are few more images to clarify it further.

Last edited by xfloyd; 05-17-2010 at 11:33 PM.
xfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #2

Ridge beam sizing

Where are you located ?
Most areas require R30 min these days
Stop off at a lumber yard & have them size the ridge beam for you

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

Ridge beam sizing

Located in Texas.
I just checked and looks like R-30 to R-38 and that will not fly with 2x6 they are talking 2x12 rafters, that's sounds little crazy for a small room like that.
That would also affect the ridge beam, this simply might not be worth the effort. Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #4

Ridge beam sizing

I went with 2x12 rafters on a 19' wide attic, span of less then 10'
Just to fit R38 insulation
Here we have to have en energy audit on our plans
You have to pass the energy audit before you can apply for a permit
And you also need to pass an insulation inspection before drywall goes up

Pay now for more insulation or pay every year in higher heating & AC costs
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

Ridge beam sizing

2x12 sounds like a lot of wood, I checked today and r-22 is all one needs in south Texas, and we do not have inspection for insulation only framing and finish. but as I think back now 2x6 would be too little room for insulation so 2x10 is probably what would work for me, almost same price anyway.
Getting a permit do not even requires plans, for an addition that is, and if you are the home owner. I guess at the time of inspection you could get in trouble, we will see. thanks for your input.

Tags
king post, ridge beam, vaulted ceiling