DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Revamping an old playhouse

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 · (Edited)
The playhouse that I want to revamp is sturdy, even with the outer walls rotting at the bottom. I'm thinking if I were to remove the rotten 3.5 feet or so and replace it with pressure treated boards, the playhouse could be salvaged. Would that work? Thankfully, the frame, roof, floor, and porch are in excellent condition, and don't need to be rebuilt at all. Is it worth it to clean it up?

Opinions and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: It's actually for myself that I'm repairing it, oh'mike. I'm a college student living at home and want a place to myself where I won't be bothered. It just needs to be sturdy and animal proof.
The playhouse was there when we bought the house, and the father from the family before us built it. He did very well on the construction, since the thing is still more-or-less sound after about 17 years in Pittsburgh weather. The problem with the rotten walls is because there's no real drainage from the porch, water just collects at the base and encourages rot. That's the only complaint I have about the design. I'm thinking about drilling some 1" holes in the porch to prevent a repeat of the first walls' fate. The door also needs replaced (we kinda-sorta kicked out the bottom panel), but that's the easy part.

See less See more
#2 ·
A picture would be helpful----However,If the basic structure is sound--a siding repair sound like a great idea,---

Is this the second generation of kids enjoying the play house?---

Go ahead and be creative----the kids will love whatever you do.---Mike--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.