Reusing A New Construction Window - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Reusing a new construction window

We've been busy for the last year repairing our house from a flood and the project has kind of ballooned in to doing just about everything we can think of. Insulation was so cheap that when I was buying for the basement, I bought enough to do our garage, too. The existing windows (3) in the garage are just a single pane between studs and slide through a slot in the "header" to open.

I've got 3 windows to replace those, but I also have a 6x4' window that we took out of the house and replaced with a sliding door. It's a new construction (flange) type vinyl window, but the flanges are all cracked and falling off. This one will be a new window, not replacing an existing one in the garage. My plan is to just run screws from the inside the frame in to the studs, since I'm not too concerned with a garage window being beautiful.

But... I thought I'd run it by some people that know better than me first. It's a very nice LoE window with beveled glass that matches the house windows, so it'd be a shame to throw it out (and I could definitely use some more air circulation on that side of the garage). Any thoughts?

For anyone interested, "insulating the basement" turned in to tile, drywall, a new bathroom, new basement windows, insulating and interior wall-ing the garage, rerunning romex to accomodate it, new garage windows and doors, new shelving and workbench, and ... paving our driveway. Gonna be rough with winter coming and football season eating up weekends.

Advertisement

Last edited by qoncept; 09-17-2009 at 03:27 PM.
qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd re-use it
Install it like a replacement window
Make sure you flash it on the outside to prevent water intrusion

If it's not too old you can also buy new flanges (even if it is old too)
I was GIVEN (free) a 5' fixed set of Anderson doors without the flanges
I ordered the flanges - $26

So if you can get them & not tons of $$ I'd get them

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

That's a good idea, I need a replacement screen door for the slider we put in (damaged in the flood), so I'll be ordering from them anyway.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #4

Also has me wondering a bit.. With the ceiling in the garage I'll be losing all of my rafter storage space. My neighbor replaced one of the trusses in his garage with a ... um, I don't know what you call it, but just 2x6s I think running up to the peak and no rafter. What's that called? If I could do that and put an access panel in, I could still store things up there.

And there's some space to be gained in my trusses, too. I've got trusses like this:

Can I (one at a time) make them like this, or am I stuck with what I've got?