Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

Reusable window trim?

I am planning on residing the house in the next couple months. I plan on stripping the aluminum siding and recovering with vinyl. In conversation with a builder friend he noted that I needed to plan on new window trim around the whole house; that it would not stay attached when I remove the old siding. He then of course noted he could re-trim each window for me for $650. This is truly not in the budget and not something I had expected to be a problem. The windows were installed in 2006 at which time all of the trim was of course done also, but now that I think about it I really don't know how it is attached. Guidance?
Attached Images

Last edited by moneymgmt; 05-21-2010 at 03:35 PM.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Reusable window trim?

looks like you will leave existing trim in place if that is caulk at the window trim. your installer will wrap the window in J channel as part of his vinyl siding bid, not in addition to. for 650 an opening i will fly to where you are and install J channel

Old 05-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Reusable window trim?

me too.seriously i would probably recommend a re wrap of the window trim....i like to return a flange onto the wall...but that's just me,i personally would charge about 200 per unit
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 92

Reusable window trim?

Whatever you decide on your window trim be sure to take your old aluminum siding to the scrap yard.

Don’t know how big your place is but you should be good for at least a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Reusable window trim?

yes, that is caulk around each window. and yes, scrap is going to be sold... about 1750sf after subtracting windows and doors. I was hoping to scrape off the caulk, wrap in J and the side around it. I'm doing the siding, that's no issue. Bending sheet aluminum is not something I've done before (and I don't have a brake to do it). His $650 is to wrap all 13 windows. Do you believe I can remove the old siding without damaging the window trim?
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #6

Reusable window trim?

I would rip all the capping off that's around the windows. I find this a hideous practice. It covers up wood that will rot along with anything in contact with it. It developed long ago as a short shrift solution to making a house, " paint free". It was never an effective solution to keeping water from getting behind the fascade.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #7

Reusable window trim?

actually Ron it was developed to fireproof wood trim in the cities in the early 20th century,if you drive thru an old city there are still buildings with
sometimes very ornate trim that looks like carved wood that is actually metal,all done with a brake

its when caulk is relied upon to water proof around the trim is when problems arise,metal dosnt leak the caulk does

Last edited by Tom Struble; 05-22-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote