Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Return of insulating the side attic floor

As discussed in a previous thread, I'm insulating an area of side attic that will be enclosed, it had previously ben an area that was part of the conditioned space and it is becoming cold unconditioned space. It was suggested that I should remove the flooring.

So I've done that, and now I have a problem.

Previous thread:
How to insulate floor of side attic...

Problem is: now I've exposed knob and tube wiring where the insulation wants to lay.

So now what suggestions are there? Should I re-cover it with plywood?

Some further explanation of what you're seeing in the picture.

On the left you see my attic sidewall which has the insulation installed.
Below the bottom plate of the new wall is a layer of hardwood floor.
Under that is 1x10 floor sheathing.
That is installed onto a layer of 2x4 laid flat, shown going left to right.
Under that is 2x4 floor joist, shown going in the picture from top to bottom. (picture is taken looking down)
Then a layer of lath and plaster.
Then a layer of 2x4 joists to support the layer of drywall for the ceiling below.
Last layer is drywall ceiling above the bedroom below this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Return of insulating the side attic floor-under_the_side_attic_floor.jpg  

Last edited by WillK; 02-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Ugh.. Need ideas here, the knob and tube is live, and this is where it goes to the main panel so taking it out of service is major work... I could cut it and splice a run of NM where it's contacting insulation, but my ceiling in the room below is going to start looking stupid because it's going to have a 2 more blanked out junction boxes. Is it a better idea than leaving the wiring as is and working around it, which might somewhat reduce my insulating effectiveness? Any other ideas?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
Ugh.. Need ideas here, the knob and tube is live, and this is where it goes to the main panel so taking it out of service is major work... I could cut it and splice a run of NM where it's contacting insulation, but my ceiling in the room below is going to start looking stupid because it's going to have a 2 more blanked out junction boxes. Is it a better idea than leaving the wiring as is and working around it, which might somewhat reduce my insulating effectiveness? Any other ideas?
I would remove all the knob and tube wiring. Splicing it would not be on my list of things to do. Yes, it will be more work. But it will by DIY work. And isn't that why you're here?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

I'll assess it, but this knob and tube circuit has tentacles in very difficult to access locations through the whole house and in this particular case, the branch runs inside the floor of the second floor which is inaccessible without first floor ceiling demo and the month that would set me back and $600 a month gas bills like we just got say that we're not in a position to delay insulating any longer, and this particular openning is in the top 5 for sources of heat loss.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
I'll assess it, but this knob and tube circuit has tentacles in very difficult to access locations through the whole house and in this particular case, the branch runs inside the floor of the second floor which is inaccessible without first floor ceiling demo and the month that would set me back and $600 a month gas bills like we just got say that we're not in a position to delay insulating any longer, and this particular openning is in the top 5 for sources of heat loss.
I'd post the picture and a brief description of the knob and tube on the Electrical Forum and get some feedback there.
You can't have too much information about this.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote