Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Retrofit a new foundation to riverrock?

I may be buying an old victorian house that has a riverrock foundation, unfortunately I live in california and we are prone to earthquakes. I somewhat understand the basics of retrofiting a new concrete foundation to the existing river rock foundation, but I do not understand all of it. I know how to frame and pour the concrete next to the river rock, but how do I attach the new foundation to the old? Bolts? rebar? Are there any tips or websites I should look up?

Kmarkonich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

You should contact your local government's Building Inspection Office and see what they have to say about that issue. This isn't really a DIY thing. They may be able to furnish you with do's and don'ts and some information on the mechanics of such an undertaking.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with BUD siesmic loadings with regards foundation reinforcement and retrofit is something that should be looked at by a professional. Without the proper analysis and calculations you cannot be sure that it will actually help in the case of a quake. In the case of earthquakes sometimes too much reinforcement is actually a bad thing.

Tags
foundation concrete, retrofit, river rock