Retrofit Los Angeles - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

retrofit los angeles

Due to earthquake in los angeles i have building with soft story conditions also there were 2 tucks under apartments. so it did poorly in earthquake i need to fix them. plz provide me the related information tht where to go

Thanks

Advertisement

jeckyjil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

retrofit los angeles

Start by:

1.) Going to your local building Dept and discussing the matter with them. Discern what they want to see. How they want to see it. How they want this approached. Example: They may want you to bring in a structural engineer to inspect and determine (Written Evaluation & Report) - about what needs to be corrected/repaired, and how it should be done.
"Visible damage", isn't always the only damage that has taken place.

2.) Contact Reputable, Experienced, & Licensed Individuals (GC's/Contractors) in your area, and have them carefully walk thru and inspect all areas of the building, to view the structural defects and damage that must be corrected (Use the evaluation report & information from the structural engineer, if that is/was the case).

3.) Have all proposals and estimates broken down into:

a. Necessary Structural Repairs to be done: Things that a licensed Contractor should be performing. This will also include plumbing (water/gas) and Electrical. On a multi-family/Rental/Commercial building, this is generally the rule (licensed contractors must be used) in most localities.

b. Secondary Repairs: Necessary Repairs that require a highly-skilled tradesman to perform.

c. Esthetic or Minor Repairs, that do not require a highly skilled person to perform (Painting, Clean up, Light Demolition, DIY type issues, etc).

4.) Keep in touch with your insurance company about everything (extent of damages and costs).

I wrote: "Start" by....because I/we....do not truly know the extent of damage, or all aspects of the situation. I am simply providing a general course of action (without alot of additional details), based on the simple post and the very basic description of damage.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

retrofit los angeles

i have a 10 story building and the top floor get bit on side cz of the earthquake i was worried wht happen the whole collapse tht is y i cant risk for anyone to fullfill this requiremnt and fix the floor to its rite place. but amoung many contractor i choose this earthquake retrofitting bay area and wen they started working i felt so lucky tht i choosen the rite one for my building. so i recomend you to take help from them they are good from every perspective.
david5675 is offline   Reply With Quote