Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Share |

Retrofit exterior basement insulation

They are excavating the front yard tomorrow to install drainaige on the foundation.

While they have the exterior exposed, is it advisable to add insulation? I'm thinking of like the pink foam.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

depending on the area of the country that you live putting rigid insulation around the foundation wall is a great idea. the only thing is if they are only excavating a small area of your foundation wall you will only insulate that small area. unfortunately i dont think that you will see much benfit unless the entire bsmt wall is done or at least all walls in a single room or area of your bsmt.
crooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks! They're doing the whole front of the house, which is also nearly everything that's below grade. I'm planning on heating the basement, so I figure putting a thermal break between the concrete block and the earth would help. I'm thinking of like R4 or something.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Dont know the r rating of it but if you want to see results use the 2" rigid insul board normally pink or blue. its pricey buy what you spend on it youll save on gas and comfort
crooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crooked1 For This Useful Post:
pyper (02-03-2011)