Resurfacing Concrete Driveway - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Resurfacing concrete driveway

My driveway is concrete and falling apart. There are cracks and the surface is crumbling apart. It is about 70 years old. Now there are plants growing in the cracks and moss growing on the surface.

I want to refinish it and concrete work is my weak point in construction. I would rather not remove it as it would be time consuming and costly.

Is there a way to resurface it and make it look real nice and smooth again or am I stuck?

Advertisement

Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd recommend total removal. The reason is that your driveway is only as strong as its base, which in this case would be the crubling existing concrete. It would be a shame to spend all that money on capping it with fresh concrete only to have it perform poorly due to an effort to save a little money. Get the old stuff out of there and get a new base down that will provide a good footing for that expensive new slab.

Have you considered capping it with asphalt? It takes more maintenance and won't last as long, but would be better suited to an application like this.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I'd recommend total removal. The reason is that your driveway is only as strong as its base, which in this case would be the crubling existing concrete. It would be a shame to spend all that money on capping it with fresh concrete only to have it perform poorly due to an effort to save a little money. Get the old stuff out of there and get a new base down that will provide a good footing for that expensive new slab.

Have you considered capping it with asphalt? It takes more maintenance and won't last as long, but would be better suited to an application like this.
I considered that but in the summer asphalt gets so hot that walking on it is not possible with bare feet. The driveway it also right next to the house and I prefer to keep radiant heat to a minimum next to my house.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Speaking of which, in order to fix cracks, is it necessary to chisel them out before caulking or just caulk with self leveling caulk? Cracks are very thin.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

It's difficult to recommend a solution without seeing how bad the crumbling concrete is. Have you considered pathing slabs? As this is a driveway the concrete should be strengthened first. You may be able to hire a breaker and break open the cracks and fill with a 4 in 1 sharp sand and cement mix.
ArticJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticJack View Post
It's difficult to recommend a solution without seeing how bad the crumbling concrete is. Have you considered pathing slabs? As this is a driveway the concrete should be strengthened first. You may be able to hire a breaker and break open the cracks and fill with a 4 in 1 sharp sand and cement mix.
The cracks are minor and the pavement is flat.

The surface is just crumbling away. Lots of aggregate showing and in the depressions where there used to be concrete moss is growing. This makes the concrete crumble faster and I pressure wash it every year. Soon there won't be any concrete to pressure wash.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

loss of paste holding aggregate together's a sign of too much wtr in the mix when mixed, placed, &/or finished,,, 1st step's hardening the conc using a conc densifier ( lithium silicate ) avail from any pro const supply house,,, the apron guys'll just give you a ' deer in the headlights ' look so don't waste your time w/'em.

once that's done, make the repairs in a workmanlike manner - saw the patch perimeter, hammer out the fail'd conc, replace fail'd base as rqd, & place new conc,,, finish your patches by troweling from the patch center OUT towards existing otherwise your patch'll ' pull ' when curing & you'll have a perimeter crk.

cracks can't be repaired w/solid materials - they won't accommodate movement,,, as a genl rule, crks're present because a proper jnt pattern wasn't placed when the d/w was blt,,, yes, there're some other reasons but you're an odds-on winner if you bet that way,,, whether or not the crk is widened depends on the crk's condition however crk sealant's NEVER installed w/3-sides adhesion, ONLY 2-sided & according to the mtl's design ratio ( typcally 1w(ide) = 1d(eep), 2w = 1d, 1d = 2d ),,, use backer rod or masking tape,,, since most crks 'move' because of thermal expansion/contraction ( open in the winter & closer in the summer ), caulk is not acceptable, only a sealant,,, best equip's usually a 4" grinder & .357 tuckpoint diamond blade - we happen to have a tricycle mtd 35hp saws built especially for crk sawing but you can't even find pictures of them.

ps - apron store's asphalt emulsion OR crk filler's not acceptable, either,,, # 1, doesn't work; #2, doesn't last, & #3, too difficult to install neatly imn-s-hfo
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Well stated, yesitsconcrete. And sometimes it's HARD to be humble when you know what you're talking about!

Advertisement