Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |

Residing Project -- Fan Fold Insulation vs Dow Super Tuff R

I am in process of residing my house. The project was planned with tar paper over the wood sheathing with 3/8" fan fold. I have the option to upgrade from fan fold to 3/4" Dow Super Tuff R insulation boards for $1500. The house is a typical 4 bedroom colonial. Is this upgrade worth it?

anthony1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #2

Residing Project -- Fan Fold Insulation vs Dow Super Tuff R

I believe that 3/4" Tuff R Board gives you a R value of about 5, higher R values are calculated with a dead air space. The proposal is likely to attach it flush without an air space. The value of fan fold, in my opinion, is that it is useful as a leveling board when you are leaving the old siding in place, it provides a somewhat flat surface for the installation of vinyl siding. I do not consider it to have any real insulating value and the workers usually nail it in place leave a lot of spaces. So the question is will the $1500- pay for itself in fuel savings or greater comfort, e.g. less drafts. When I do a project I want to do it once and do it right, but it isn't always easy to figure out what is right. good luck.

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCamper For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-16-2011)