Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Residing a house

Hi. I have some vinyl siding that I want to put on my house. Can I just put it over my old wood siding? I don't want to remove that if I don't have to. Also, do I need to caulk the bad boards.

Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Whatamess

Residing a house

You can install over top of your old siding. I would install a house wrap barrier. Get a book and read about installing it will help. Vinyl is not hard to install. You can take your time. Just make sure you do not fit it to tight or nail it tight. All this will be explained in the books. Where are you located?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Residing a house

If you have clap board siding or shake siding, then the answer is no. You must install fanfold (foam board) to allow the new vinyl siding to lay flat and uniform.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #4

Residing a house

Hi and thank you for responding. I live in SD and the siding has been piled up outside my house for 5 years. It is some my Dad picked up and he told me I have enough to do at least 3 sides of my house. He was going to do it for me, but due to cancer (which we didn't know about until Nov. 2007), his body ached too bad to do it. He just passed a few months ago. I have managed to figure out the J channel, but haven't really found a place to show how to put it on the house. Guess I'll keep looking.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to answer.

Amelia
Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Residing a house

First off, sorry about your DAD.
you said you had the siding drop off to your house and its been outside for five years. if the siding wasn't stored in a near manner then I would worn you don't expect the siding to lay flat on any backer. I'm thinking wet boxes torn open with pieces falling on its side. To the poster, other's I'm sure know this. If the siding isn't stored on a flat surface with the cartons in a upright positions. this stuff is not going to lay flat on the house. I hope this isn't the case with you. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote