Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Residential loft addition

First off, I have a bit of carpenter experience, so I am confident in my physical ability and knowledge of the use of tools that I can complete this project myself. But, I do not have the know how for my current project at hand.

I am going to be extending the second story loft interior flooring further out (overhanging into the living room). Right now, the loft is basically a hallway to other rooms in the house. It will basically remain so, with the exception of extending the walls from the bedrooms into the hallway (so we can make the rooms bigger; which also means that we will be removing several walls within the rooms to join them together); and in doing so, we need to extend the hallway out further.

We will be replacing a normal set of straight stairs with a more compact set of spiral stairs. My main concern is of course, load bearing walls (not excited to deal with them. My secondary concern is how to extend the loft outward. Because both sides of the loft will be built inward towards each other but will not meet in the middle (because of the spiral stair case being in the middle), this may be extra difficult to complete the project while maintaining this residence to be structurally sound.

I will be getting images up very soon so you can tie my words in with what my plan is. Thanks everyone!!!

- Jacob

king_jay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ambitious project! You're going to need an engineer.

Step 1 will be finding out what your local requirements are and having an engineer make a plan for you.

Keep us updated and can't wait to see pics.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,898

You need plans drawn to meet the structural needs of the building.

The work shouldn't be all that difficult----however plans are the first step.--Mike---

Tags
addition, loft, second floor, stairs