DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing windows in a Bedford Stone home

11K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tim_the_toolman 
#1 ·
Hello,
I've been searching the internet for information on replacing windows in stone homes. We are preparing to do this and I cant bring myself to pay someone else to do it. I figured that replacing windows in a stone home would be much different than replacing them in a typical wood framed home. Our home is not wood framed. It is all block (all walls, interior included, are cinder block).

Anyone ever replaced windows in a home like this? What are some of the potential pitfalls that I may encounter?

Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
windows

Your home is all block with a stone facade? if so your windows are set up for block frame constuction (I.E. no nailer fin like wood construction).
Do you have drywall inside? or just block?
If it's block then just measure the width and hight go to a trusted window company to order your windows for block frame, chances are your windows are not a standard size like the products at home depot or lowes.
Assuming the worst and you have drywall inside, you will need to remove the portion around the windows and pull them out from the inside.
Most windows for block homes are held in by small clips and caulked in place.
Another question do you have metal framed casements or aluminum windows or wood?
Metal framed you do not have to remove the sashes.
start buy cutting through the window frame and colapes the the frame out of the wall, you may have to pry a bit to get it out depending on your type of window.
after the old is out and you already have replacement handy time to install.
I personally don't use the clips I predrill the side jambs (2- 1/4" holes3-4" up and down) set my window into place (leved) and mark the hole location, pull window back out, drill block and install plasic or lead anchors.
reset the window and start 1 screw fixed side of window then the oppiset side( do not tighten them down all the way because you'll want to center the window in the opening.
tighten screws making shure that every thing stays square and plumb.
caulk around both sides( you may want to insulate the perimeter of the window depending on the gap you may or may not have, caution useing expanding foam, it tends to distort the frame if you use to much).
Now replace the drywall if needed.
Good luck, once you get started you'll see how really easy it is:thumbup:

#5 ·
Your home is all block with a stone facade? if so your windows are set up for block frame constuction (I.E. no nailer fin like wood construction).
Do you have drywall inside? or just block?
If it's block then just measure the width and hight go to a trusted window company to order your windows for block frame, chances are your windows are not a standard size like the products at home depot or lowes.
Assuming the worst and you have drywall inside, you will need to remove the portion around the windows and pull them out from the inside.
Most windows for block homes are held in by small clips and caulked in place.
Another question do you have metal framed casements or aluminum windows or wood?
Metal framed you do not have to remove the sashes.
start buy cutting through the window frame and colapes the the frame out of the wall, you may have to pry a bit to get it out depending on your type of window.
after the old is out and you already have replacement handy time to install.
I personally don't use the clips I predrill the side jambs (2- 1/4" holes3-4" up and down) set my window into place (leved) and mark the hole location, pull window back out, drill block and install plasic or lead anchors.
reset the window and start 1 screw fixed side of window then the oppiset side( do not tighten them down all the way because you'll want to center the window in the opening.
tighten screws making shure that every thing stays square and plumb.
caulk around both sides( you may want to insulate the perimeter of the window depending on the gap you may or may not have, caution useing expanding foam, it tends to distort the frame if you use to much).
Now replace the drywall if needed.
Good luck, once you get started you'll see how really easy it is:thumbup:

I sense sarcasm in your last line there :).

The interior walls are plaster. I kid you not, the place is built like a bunker. Our gas/heating bills were rediculous last winter(couple over $500 for a 1450 sq ft ranch with full basement). We had considered having someone come in and spray insulation into the walls for us. Thats when we figured out that our walls were block. We are trying to find ways of conserving heat within the house. New windows are our first priority as they are old aluminum windows. The seals around the outside of the windows are coming out. It is easy to see why our bills have been so high.

I am a handy man to an extent but this is something that I dont want to screw up. You think I would be better off paying my bro inlaw (very skilled carpenter) between $500-$1000 to install all of the windows?

Thanks,
Ryan

#6 ·
window reply from mark

If your a pretty good handyman then my guess is that once you get started you really will find that it's easyer than you thought, the hardest part I gareentee you is going to be the plaster work to finish the windows off.
As for the brother inlaw just ask for his help two are better than one when it comes to setting the windows, depending on there size and location.
I know it's to cold out now (maybe) to set windows but it will go fast!
I've set seven just like you discribe in about six hours.
Just make shure you get good measurement for the windows that out of everything is most importaint.
The aluminum windows will come out rather easy once you can get a pry bar behinde them.
I know the worry your going through, I found out along time ago, use your common sense (you seem to have plenty or you would not worry),anything that can go wrong you can fix( no problems ), and as mike jordan says( me to, just do it).
As far as the block wall and insulation there are company's that will drill a small hole in the outsde of the block and squirt in foam insulation into the voided areas.
Oh the brother inlaw thing again try to get him to do it for beer it's cheaper( I'm really cheap and wont pay if I can do it myself)
I know it will go well for you, any doubts reply and I will help you out
MARK M.:thumbup:

#7 ·
If your a pretty good handyman then my guess is that once you get started you really will find that it's easyer than you thought, the hardest part I gareentee you is going to be the plaster work to finish the windows off.
As for the brother inlaw just ask for his help two are better than one when it comes to setting the windows, depending on there size and location.
I know it's to cold out now (maybe) to set windows but it will go fast!
I've set seven just like you discribe in about six hours.
Just make shure you get good measurement for the windows that out of everything is most importaint.
The aluminum windows will come out rather easy once you can get a pry bar behinde them.
I know the worry your going through, I found out along time ago, use your common sense (you seem to have plenty or you would not worry),anything that can go wrong you can fix( no problems ), and as mike jordan says( me to, just do it).
As far as the block wall and insulation there are company's that will drill a small hole in the outsde of the block and squirt in foam insulation into the voided areas.
Oh the brother inlaw thing again try to get him to do it for beer it's cheaper( I'm really cheap and wont pay if I can do it myself)
I know it will go well for you, any doubts reply and I will help you out
MARK M.:thumbup:

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.