Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing window screen and spline

Hi, I have aluminum window frames with a channel for spline. I found the correct spline, and screen, but no matter what I try, The screen comes out wavy around the edges. I've tried different splines, and different techniques. I just hope someone here can direct me to what I'm missing.
Thanks,
Rick
Iagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #2

hard not to get that pucker if the screen is not long enough for you to put tension on it when rolling the bead
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

If I remember right, I did opposite ends of the screen first, which tightened it up enough on the two sides that I didn't have a problem with it puckering.

Are you using a rolling tool? I'm sure you are, but I thought I'd ask.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Household Handyman

I thought I was doing a pretty good job on these until I worked next to some guys putting up an aluminum screen room on one job. I had to stop and learn from him as these guys do 6' x 6' sections sometimes. Start at the upper left hand corner, put only a few inches of spline in to hold the screen in working from both sides of the corner. Do allow maybe 2" of excess screen which may be trimmed off later all around. Actually he used maybe 12" long pieces for this to get things started. Pull the screen across the top, from left to right, using one line of the screening material as a guide to keep it level, rolling in the spline as you go. This is a judgment call as to how tight. Then pull the left hand side snug straight down, again using one line of the material as a guide for vertical, and roll in the spline. Next the bottom right hand corner is pulled snug. This should remove any wrinkles, waves, etc., align the right side and roll in the spline. The bottom should be fairly snug and only need a little tug to pull it into place correctly, roll in the spline. Since I've used this technique it's been easier for me and the screens look better. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (05-22-2010), jules4 (12-28-2010)