Replacing A Window With French Doors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing a window with french doors

hi there...
i was wondering if replacing a window with french doors in a load bearing wall will be a problem...
i watch enough diy shows to know what i am NOT capable of doing, and before i make any huge mistakes, i thought i would ask the experts!!
i have a window in my bedroom that is 70.5"wide x 42.5" tall, and would like to replace with the same french doors that are in my living room, that also happen to be approx 71" wide... the wall is an outside structural wall, and there is an electrical outlet just below, so i know there will need to be an electrician involved, but will i need to do anything to the structure/frame above the window in order to replace it with a door?? if it is too crazy, i will be having someone do it for me, but i also want to make sure that THEY do it correctly, as i have had some less than ideal contracting in the past... thanks for any input and help!!!
enclosing pictures if i can figure out how!

Advertisement

monicalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

To do it, you are going to have to get a header built to withstand the load. The current header for the window is not going to be enough when you do the french doors. The best thing to do, is interview some contractors in your area and see where they will work with you on if you purchase materials upfront, such as the door. Right now, contractors that build homes are currently doing more remodeling, than before, and are desperate for work.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
To do it, you are going to have to get a header built to withstand the load. The current header for the window is not going to be enough when you do the french doors.
If the header is sufficient for the window it also would be for a doors assuming the width of opening will not be enlarged.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Depends on the age of the home, and how it was built. My headers for my windows are two 2x4's placed above with cripples and jackstuds on the sides, due to how they built homes back then in the 30's. I sure would not leave my set up that way, if I was placing a door into the opening. I know that my front and back doors are the same way, due to the age of the home.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

That’s why I said, if the header is “sufficient”.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Of course there are most weekend warriors that take the info on the diynetwork shows and end up getting in trouble. One that I watched Saturday, showed them burying the conduit in the backyard, then the homeowner after not marking the path of the conduit, ended up boring a hole right in the middle of the conduit field. Looked real pretty when they pulled up the bundle of Copper.

Advertisement